Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk issues....what did you do?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM
  • 27 Replies

mY daughter is one  and we started her on milk. We only put a little with her formula to start off with, and it did not go good. We tried it one more day, and last night an hour after her bottle she puked really badly in her crib. So today we stopped the milk... but should I try a diff kind of milk--soy? organic?...or just keep with her formula for now?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marissa615
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:28 PM

We just switched completely.  Our pediatrician said it was fine to just stop the formula and start the milk.  However, I do notice that organic milk does make her spit up and opposed to regular milk and she was on lactose free formula.  None of it makes any sense.  DD switched just fine.  Maybe the combo of the formula and the milk is not sitting well in he tummy.  ???

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

My DS is on Lactaid (lactose free milk).  He can't handle regular milk at all and we are probably going to have to switch to rice milk because he isn't doing fantastic on Lactaid (gives him diarrhea sorry if TMI).  If you are going to switch I would suggest Lactaid or Rice milk.  Soy isn't good in large amounts.

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

Someone48
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM

what % are you using?

BellahMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Here is some good info. check it out!

steph2884
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:35 PM

My son is highly allergic to dairy products. He drinks soy. He allergy started out with him vomitting the milk up, then it turned into his whole face swelling up. Not saying this is what's going on with your daughter. Call your doctor, tell them what's going on, and get their opinion on it before you start soy or anything else. Keep with the formula now until they tell you what to do.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM

What kind of formula was she on? Some babies just have problems transitioning. My son is lactose and soy intolerant, so he must have Lactaid. There's also soy, hemp, almond, rice and others that I can't think of.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Can't tell u what to do but I just want to add that alot of kids that have problems with cow's milk also have probs with soy milk because the proteins are very similar..Just a little dose of info for you.

Hate me if you want to, Love me if you can. *Toby Keith*

Someone48
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:39 PM

You should be giving her 2% or lower, even WIC is changing it. Whole milk is no good. It does take a while for them to transition, sometimes their puke will look a little lumpy (sorry tmi)... its normal. just make sure you're giving her 2% or lower

missbobbie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I have never heard this. Whole milk is what babies need if not being breastfeed or formula feed any more. It has the fat and vitamin D that they need.

I would check with your Dr. first and go form there. I also am wondering what formula your child was on? My daughter was sensitive to milk and soy in my breast milk and when we did switch to formula we had to go to the hypoallergenic for her not vomit everywhere. Then we had to slowly switch her to a milk based formula and now we are almost on full bottles of whole milk. You have to take it very slow though. Start with 2 oz milk and the rest formula and then 4oz and 4 oz the 6 oz milk and only 2 oz. Like I said before take it very slow. Only up the amount of milk every week or so.

Quoting Someone48:

You should be giving her 2% or lower, even WIC is changing it. Whole milk is no good. It does take a while for them to transition, sometimes their puke will look a little lumpy (sorry tmi)... its normal. just make sure you're giving her 2% or lower

Someone48
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Quoting missbobbie:

I have never heard this. Whole milk is what babies need if not being breastfeed or formula feed any more. It has the fat and vitamin D that they need.

Quoting Someone48:

That's wrong. Whole milk is proving to be bad for adults & kids.. WIC is changing this effective October. I'll find some info on it hold on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)