Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The craziest thing you ever did to get a kid to sleep???

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM
  • 31 Replies

This isn't too bad but there was a period when my husband would take the youngest (now 15) for a ride in the truck so she'd go to sleep. 

I once heard someone say they put their child on top of their washing in their little carrier and it lulled them to sleep!! 

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelfey
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I dunno...but if my 3 year old doesn't go to sleep soon Im going to rip my hair out.

kmsmommy430
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM

we have done the car thing as well and i think thats it

i am 23 yr old military wife mother of one ds and i have an 18 yr old adopted daughter. i am a non spanking, vaxing, non cio, erf, organic feeding , juice limiting, smokeing, dispossible diaper useing mom , who cant stand people telling me how to raise my ds. if you dont like what i do then dont do it with yours. i didnt marry you or have babys with you so  ill do it my way and you do it yours.

air forceteen girltoddler boy

saralouise
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM

I always thought the car ride thing was a myth until I had my 3rd son. he was extremly collicy and that was the ONLY thing I could do to get him to stop screaming and for me to keep my sanity. everynight like clockwork 11pm and again at 1am I was loading him up to drive around the block a couple times.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM

When my ds was an infant he would only sleep in his carseat!  So I would either put his carseat in his crib or next to my bed..  Hell he slept in the carseat until he was around 9 months old!  Lol he loved the carseat.. he refused to sleep in his crib but as soon as she put him in the carseat he would go to sleep..  So that is what we di..  Whatever works right?  :)

hhickey
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM

For the first month of her life, I slept on the couch with her on my chest. I know, BAD.  Then we moved to my bed (hubby worked nights so it was easier then getting up and down every two hours to nurse.  Then around Christmas, we moved into this house, and she wouldn't sleep in her bed.  So there was about a month that one of us slept on her floor.

Oh well... whatever works!

Mom2prissypants
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM

My oldest DD wanted to be bounced when she was like 4 months old we had to bounce her to sleep and it took a very long time doesn't sound so crazy until you are still up at 4 am bouncing her just so she won't cry

Leeloo309
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

My oldest now 19 I did the wash machine thing. I also recall him falling asleep once to my hair dryer and trying to use it a couple times lol but I found a fan he liked instead .My other three I bf and they slept very well for me, I was also a lil older so maybe that helped .

~Leeloo

missbobbie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Lets see I have a lot. I am a mommy to a baby girl that had really bad GERD. We did the hair dryer, the car ride, the swing, me sitting upright on the couch nursing her all night, swaddling. car seat in her crib. Bounce chair with the vacume going. Bath water running. We have done it all to get my daughter to sleep. I am proud to say that now at 13months old she is finally sleeping through the night by herself.

3timesoccermom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Wow some of you moms had it so tough!  Thankfully I never had a colicky child or one with GERD or any other difficulties.

I also let my oldest sleep in her little car seat/carrier thing (it was 20 years ago) for a few weeks.  She liked it, slept well and it worked but I remember another mom being horrified when I mentioned it.  That kid sleeps like a log, anywhere now! 

presNlivsMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:20 PM

She wasn't an infant, but when she was three I told my DD that if she went to sleep I'd buy her a unicorn. When I told my MIL that she said,"Heather,uniicorns are very expensive!!" She was totally serious so I just went with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)