Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help she is tooo picky!!!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

My dd is a very picky eater her basic food groups are chicken nuggets, fries, pasta pick ups, and pizza. I have a 9 year old and a 2 year old both of which are very picky eaters and I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I have done nothing else unless you eat waht I made for dinner (we are in that argument as we speak)  and many techniques just wondering what the rules for eating are in your house and what do you do if you know they are hungry but wont eat what you offer my 2 year old would rather go without than even eat plain pasta or pasta with butter when we have spaghettti.

frustrated

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM

My DD will only eat carbs. Cereal, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, crackers... she wont touch anything else and will go all day without eating if I dont give her one of those things. Its driving me nuts because she wont even eat fruits or veggies, except fruit juice in her sippy. Good luck to you cause I have no clue what im suppose to do...

Charla74
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM

My son just turned 10 and he is the same way.. has been as long I can remember. I was forced to eat what I didn't like as a child and O vowed never to make my children. So, if he doesn't want what I am making for the rest of us I make him something else...I also know that if I make steak or a roast he isn't going to eat it so I plan something else for him.. he does usually eat whatever veggie we are eating though just a different meat. As say as long as he is eating something I don't care.

Kaelaasmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM

My daughter is required to TRY anything that is put on the table. If she tries it and doesn't like it, I make sure there is some leftovers in the fridge that she does like. 

If she refuses to try the food, or she is acting like she doesn't like something she always has liked, she can have a PB&J, as I don't believe in sending her to bed without dinner.

So far, she has never had the PB&J for dinner, and rarely has leftovers.

Also, I will make her something different if I am cooking something for dinner that I already know she doesn't like.

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

Mom2prissypants
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:14 PM

this sounds more like mine but they will not eat peanut butter or mac n cheese or mashed potatoes. They wont even do green beans. I can make my 9 year old eat some things but not many and my 2 year old wont even try alot of things and usually when she does she spits it out. She spit out watermelon the other day these should be kid proof foods and mine wont eat them I am lost.

Quoting tairakittie:

My DD will only eat carbs. Cereal, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, crackers... she wont touch anything else and will go all day without eating if I dont give her one of those things. Its driving me nuts because she wont even eat fruits or veggies, except fruit juice in her sippy. Good luck to you cause I have no clue what im suppose to do...

ShadowLark
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Maybe she has texture issues.  My son LOVES watermelon, but he'll spit out pieces because they feel weird to him.  And he's 2 1/2, so it's probably the age, too.

My Uncle Pete used to (maybe still does?) HATE pudding because it "felt weird" in his mouth.

Quoting Mom2prissypants:

this sounds more like mine but they will not eat peanut butter or mac n cheese or mashed potatoes. They wont even do green beans. I can make my 9 year old eat some things but not many and my 2 year old wont even try alot of things and usually when she does she spits it out. She spit out watermelon the other day these should be kid proof foods and mine wont eat them I am lost.

Quoting tairakittie:

Mom2prissypants
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM

So does anyone want to tell me what you would do in theis situation? I am not worried about anything but them eating more nutritious foods but I don't know what else to do or should I just not worry about it if they are healthy?

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, she wont eat peanut butter unless its on crackers... and dont even try to get her to eat mac and cheese! She was eating everything I put in front of her until about 2 weeks ago... everything she loved she wont touch. She knows what it is, shes just too stubborn to even try it. I have tried making her at least three different things in one sitting, just to waste all that food and give her cereal anyways... SO thought he was slick because he got her to eat sweet potatoes the other day... so I told him to go ahead a feed her then if he can get her to eat... nope... she did it to him too. I think its just the age and a phase they go through, it sucks but you cant make them eat if they really dont want to. If youre really worried get some pediasure and V8 splash (the one with the veggies and fruit in it) to put in her cup so you know shes getting some nutrients through the day and just keep trying...

Quoting Mom2prissypants:

Quoting tairakittie:

Mom2prissypants
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Well I am about to give in tonight it has been over an hour since I offered her pasta and she is insiting on yogurt and cookies but yogurt is good for her so I think I am gonna cave tonight I just don't want her to learn if she holds out long enough she gets what she wants it is so frustrating thanks to all of you for letting me know I am not alone and I would love to hear from more of you.

Leener3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM

That was my both my kids at age 2 

17 years later my daughter is exactly the same. Very picky. Very specific things she will eat.  The good thing is, she is easy as hell to cook for. I make one of her favorite meals on Sunday and she'll eat it all week, no complaints.

19 years later my son is a health NUT.  This kid reads every single damn word on every damn label before buying anything.  I swear to god, I could have brought the book "War and Peace" on our last grocery shopping trip and finished the book before he finished shopping. Every meal has to have at least 2 vegetables, every meal has to have so much protein.  All food is organic if at all posible.  He shops 3 times a week because ....OMG, you never keep food in the fridge more than 3 days.  He drives me nuts. 

So..... same at age 2, same mother, completely different now.  You just never know, it could go either way. 

sandyvanb
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM

My kids either eat what we've made or they don't eat.  We've never given them any options and they always eat their dinner.  My oldest is almost three and sometimes he'll look at his plate and declare that he doesn't like it until we make him try a bite.  He's never gone to bed without dinner because he knows that his choices are either 1. eat his dinner or 2. go directly to bed.  A child is not going to waste away because he doesn't have dinner one to two nights.  Eventually the child will learn that you mean business and they will eat.  Good luck.

MiasMom2006natural.gif Natural Childbirth picture by sandyvanbrawisnercrunchy.gif Crunchy picture by sandyvanbDoula blinkie

There is simply too much information available to not do things my way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)