Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat help * video* PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM
  • 17 Replies

I posted this in a carseat group and got bashed for having DS FF at 12 and a half months. He is 33lbs already.  Anyways, This can't be right, there's way to much wiggle room and I've gotten all the slack out that I could.

Proud Army Wife to William since '07 and Mommy to Hunter Lee since May '08

I'm a CIO to a point, spanking, cussing, yelling, screaming, bottle formula feeding, full vaxing, cir'c mommy! My son is happy loved and fatter than a butterball, my husband is the same way and that's how I love it!  If you have a problem, hate it for ya, I'm not changing shit.

yellow ribbonveterans day

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

wave

Hi Lizzy317

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

bananaapplepie
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM

thats crazy that it is so loose... for whatever reason my dd's carseat is tilted on the seat of my car... i try to straighten it or level it out but nothing helps...

my thought is maybe get someone to help u like one of u buckle the seatbelt and then the other move where the seatlock thingy goes so that it is tighter???

and duh, of course hunter should be forward facing... i switched my dd at 10 months i think....

LukesMommy912
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I'm horrible at installing seats. I've only found one that I can install properly everytime and that's the one I have now. And I think it's only because it has locking clips on both sides so it helps get it really tight. Mine doesn't budge.

But I can pretty much guarantee if you post it in the Car Seat Safety Group you won't get bashed. You're following the law and that's all that matters. Just click the link in my siggy to check it out :)

My son is 2 1/2 years old and weighs 31 pounds. He is still rearfacing in the First Years True Fit Convertible Carseat!

Questions? Join the Carseat Safety group on CafeMom!

austinsm0mmy
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM

what year is your car?  if its an older car you will probably need a locking clip - you should have on attached to your car seat.

your right that not right there is WAY too much movement - you need less than 1" of movement along the belt path.

Pull your seat belt ALL the way out to activate the locking mechanism in it.

thread it through where you have it now.

using a hand or a knee put your weight into the seat and pull the lap portion of the belt as tight as you can, then slowly feed the seat belt back until it is all tight. if its an older car put the locking clip on the seat belt per your manual.

if you have a top tether you should install that as well to limit the top movement - just attach it too the tether hook and tighten it as much as you can.

hope this helps.

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I couldn't tell, but do you have a locking clip? If you don't, get one ASAP. It will help keep the belt tight when you install it. Are you putting weight in the seat as you tighten it? If you use a locking clip and it still wiggles that much, you possibly need to do some carseat shopping for one that fits more snuggly on your seat. Not all seats are compatible with all vehicles. 

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I am almost certain you can not have a locking clip on the belt opposite side of the buckle. One on both sides is not safe. Also, the seat should not be so tight it doesn't budge. SOME movement is reguired.

Quoting LukesMommy912:

I'm horrible at installing seats. I've only found one that I can install properly everytime and that's the one I have now. And I think it's only because it has locking clips on both sides so it helps get it really tight. Mine doesn't budge.

But I can pretty much guarantee if you post it in the Car Seat Safety Group you won't get bashed. You're following the law and that's all that matters. Just click the link in my siggy to check it out :)

LukesMommy912
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I'm pretty sure that the manual says to use both locking clips. They are built in and I think I've checked on this before. But thanks, I'll check again before we leave :)

And his seat moves a little but definitely not as much as that one. It has a little wiggle room. The manual says an inch or less of movement at the back and it doesn't quite move an inch.

Quoting ZachNHannahsMom:

I am almost certain you can not have a locking clip on the belt opposite side of the buckle. One on both sides is not safe. Also, the seat should not be so tight it doesn't budge. SOME movement is reguired.

Quoting LukesMommy912:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
6in5years
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Get into the carseat on your knees.  That will force it to become tight to the seat.  While you are kneeling in the carseat tighten the seatbelt.  That should stop the sloppy movements.  Hope this helps.

ReinsKitten
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Sorry you got bashed... it's a shame people are so mean and disrespectful all the time. Anyways... sounds like you got some good suggestions so far (My s/o is the one who installs our seats, but he puts his weight in the seat w/ his knee, and gets it tight like that before he takes his weight off). If you still can't get the seat right, I'd say to go somewhere to get it installed for you- sometimes the fire or police station will do this, or find a carseat tech in your area. That's my suggestion. (And like someone said, it unfortunetly might come to needing to get a new seat, but I'd try to get someone to install your current one first, they'll tell you if your seat won't work in your car. And if you do get a new one, some stores will let you try it out in your car before you buy it to make sure it will fit.) GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you find something that works for you!!

preview image 

preview image 

kttycat84
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Call your local fire department and ask what day they do car seat installations.  Watch them put it in and then you'll be all set!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)