Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name Brand vs. Store Brand

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, there are many things I will buy the store brand product.  Canned/frozen veggies, soda, taco shells/seasonings, the list goes on.  But, there are certain things, where I stick to the name brand.  Canned soup, baked beans and frozen breaded fish, are a few.  Why?  It's a taste thing.  That, and on the canned soup, for example, the store brand doesn't make low sodium choices. 

So, what do you buy store brand and what HAS to be name brand?

No bashing other moms for their opinion...looking to get away from that for the night.  Keep it nice, ladies!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alleykatt28
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I must have yoplait (sp?) yogurt... i will not buy store brand.
I prefer Johnson & Johnson baby soap, but if money is really tight, i will settle with SB
i have a few i am picky about.. my hubby thinks i am strange.. but sometimes you DO get what you pay for. I say if the SB is equal or better then sure.. but if not.... i will pay a little more for the quality.

Do you play MafiaWars on MySpace? Need more mafia? Come join our Family!!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/102762

jacobsmommy122
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM

its funny because a lot of the SB stuff comes from the same factories as the NB stuff! I buy NB soda and bbq sauce!!! soda because i LOVE pepsi! LOL and bbq sauce bc DS1 will eat just about anything with the kraft honey bbq sauce on it! LOL It has to be kraft tho! I tried to switch and he knew! LOL He is 2 and will eat a whole chicken breast with that stuff on it! Im all for SB tho!

devasmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I mostly buy whatever is less expensive, which is NOT always the store brand. But there are certain items that I will only buy name brand. I will NEVER buy store brands of Mayonnaise, it has to be Best Foods (called Hellmans in some parts of the country), Tuna, and salad dressings. Other than that, whatever is least expensive, goes in my cart.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM

About the only things we buy that are name brand are condiments. SO has to have his KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce, I have to have my Hidden Valley ranch dressing, and we both have to have Heinz ketchup. We also buy Luvs for ds, but that's because they're the only ones that don't leak (he pees a lot) or make him break out. Other than that, we're not picky and we're all about saving money.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

katiegirl
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM

It all depends on what the product is. Some I have to buy name brand, same thing, it's a taste thing. Or other non food products, it's the quality.

LEJOLIE
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM

ALL MY STUFF HAS TO BE GOYA !   LOL  

CalimamaOf4
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I will buy a lot of things store brand, but one that HAS to be name brand is Mayo. I only buy Best Foods, store brand mayo seems to be more yellow and the color alone grosses me out.

basktballmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I will try a SB alot of time but if the family wont eat it, then it is not worth getting. I agree with you. SB soup is just too salty to me. Frozen veggies to me are the same and I have bought SB bbq sauce and mixed it with Bulls eye brand if i am cooking for a large group. It goes farther without changing to much of the taste. I will say this, if you like frozen corn vs canned corn, Wal-mart Great value frozen corn is the best!!!

luvmy2kids2007
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

i will only buy nb of lactaid cuz its for my 18 month old dd and i dont want to take the chance of her getting a upset tummy and i'm not going all the way to walmart 5 miles i have no car just to get off brand but alot of times i just get whatever is cheapest but my soda i have to have nb it dont taste right is its sb

vdewes
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Honestly since we get food stamps i typically buy name brand. but I don't hesitate to buy store brand canned veggies, breads, lunch meats, etc. However, I draw the line at soda..coke is coke, NOT Big K LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)