Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

an interesting idea on Formula Feeding..

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 31 Replies

Is bottle-feeding the sign of a bad mother? New study seeks answers.

Categories: Media

baby bottles

"I felt like a failure…I thought everyone was looking at me, and…I constantly had to justify myself." This comment was taken from a new study done by Professor Frank Furedi of the Univeristy of Kent about women's experiences with bottle-feeding formula to their babies. The results of the study can be found at spiked-online. The study was conducted to investigate the effects on women "of a cultural and social context where the message that 'breast is best' is strongly promoted." In a sense, the study asks, "How do mothers experience not breastfeeding." Two key objectives of the research were to understand how mothers who choose formula-feeding come to this feeding option in the first place, and to study the experience of mothers who use forumula in regard to their interactions with their healthcare professionals, friends, peers, etc.

The key finding in the study is that formula-feeding is �a source of tension and conflict for mothers.� Thirty-two percent of women surveyed felt like a failure for not breastfeeding, while at the same time, 88% reported feeling a sense of relief that their baby was being fed. Of the respondents, 33% felt guilty about using formula, but 76% were happy to have found a solution to make things easier. Beth Hoyt reminds us that today is the start of World Breastfeeding Week. I currently breastfeed my 10-month-old. I breastfed my older child. It is a choice that is right for me and my family. But this week, as we consider the many benefits of breastfeeding and support mothers who choose to do it, we should acknowledge that formula-using moms need affirmation, too. Let�s stop making bottle-feeding moms feel bad about themselves. Let�s support�rather than shame�a mother for the way she chooses to feed her baby.  After all, it is her business, and her choice. [via chaos theory]

****awaits patiently for Buffy to come and stake the Cullen freaks***

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stephy_85
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I really couldn't agree more. I really don't care how somebody feeds there child, it isn't my place to make somebody feel bad for the choice they made for there family. Hey all that really matters to me is that the child is getting something to eat, not if it's formula or breast.

Proud Army Wife~SAHM~Pro Vaxing~America Love It Or Leave It~If You Don't Support Our Troops Feel Free to Stand In Front Of Them~The Army Isn't The Only Thing That Makes My Man Scream Hooah~

SuthrnPrincess
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM

"After all, it is her business, and her choice..."

This is exactly right!!

dupreemommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM
I bottle fed both of my babies. They both had every stinkin' milk allergy under the sun. I personally didn't have a choice, we had to use hypoallergenic formula (28.00 a can, 3 cans a week!). I think it is totally a mothers right to choose. As long as the child is being fed, who cares which nipple it comes from. I just think a bottle might be a little easier considering it seems to raise such a fuss with people these days when you have to bare a booby to feed your baby. Do people not get that that's what boobies are for!
pisces_chick89
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM

want to knwo what sfunny..if this was a pro breast post,i would have at least 10 other comment all in appluads

pisces_chick89
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM

figures

SuthrnPrincess
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Lol

Quoting pisces_chick89:

want to knwo what sfunny..if this was a pro breast post,i would have at least 10 other comment all in appluads

Roomfor1more
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I don't care if you FF,BF or feed them goats milk as long as they get what they need.

Your body,your baby,your choice!

Johns_Gal
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, so I guessed you missed the point of my, err... you're calling it a "pro-breast" post?

Sure, I think it'd be great if every mom breastfed... but I don't care if they don't.

pisces_chick89
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM

bump...

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM

I'm sorry  that you felt the need to post this - I imagine it was because you were reemed in the breastfeeding post.

Don't pay them any mind - there is nothing wrong with formula feeding and you do not need ot supply the bf pushers with the reasons why you decided not to breastfeed. It was your personal choice and I am sure that your children will not be in a lifetime of therapy because you bottle fed lol.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church. I am very conservative and a proud Republican.              Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)