Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Red spots on the uvula and throat? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I took my little girl to the Dr yesterday because she had a moderate fever and a red throat. They did a strep test and it came back negative, but today she has little red spots on the back of the roof of her mouth, her uvula and her throat. I've been looking for things online and the only thing that comes up is strep. Any ideas on what it is or how I can help sooth it? She keeps pointing in her mouth and saying owie (she'll be 2 in a couple of weeks)

by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
adulation
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM

my daughter had hand foot & mouth disease last month, but she didnt get any sores on her hands/feet, only in her throat. she had a fever and vomited as well.

the doctor told me to mix 2 oz of Maalox with 2 oz of benedryl  and giver her a teaspoon in the morning, and a teaspoon at night. 

he also told me to give her liquids like water and pedialyte and avoid acidic juices.

and to give her popsicles,  pudding, etc..  things that wont hurt going down.

Leener3
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Look at the bottom of her feet and the palms of her hands. Do you see any red blotches? My first thought would be hand/foot/mouth as well. Strep usually presents itself as white spots not red.

adulation
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 3:07 PM

ps - hand/foot/mouth disease is common in children under 4 [from what i've read]  and is caused by a virus so it has to just run its course.  the best you can do is ease her symptoms.  good luck.

oceanus407
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM

What did the spots look like? My daughter's look like little red speckles....not like the blisters I've seen in online pics of HFMD

Quoting adulation:

my daughter had hand foot & mouth disease last month, but she didnt get any sores on her hands/feet, only in her throat. she had a fever and vomited as well.

the doctor told me to mix 2 oz of Maalox with 2 oz of benedryl  and giver her a teaspoon in the morning, and a teaspoon at night. 

he also told me to give her liquids like water and pedialyte and avoid acidic juices.

Leener3
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

My kids started on looking odd, not blisters, almost like swirls that looked like they were underneath the skin, maybe like sunburn under the skin. I'm sorry, I know I am not explaining it correctly. If it is hand/foot/mouth, you'll know by tomorrow it will be painful for her to walk.

adulation
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

they were just little red spots.  i didnt get a good look because she HATES for me to look into her mouth.  they didnt look like blisters to me but thats what the doc said it was.  either way, you should still give her foods that are soothing and easy to swallow [popsicles, pudding, mashed potatoes, pureed fruits. nothing acidic.]

Quoting oceanus407:

What did the spots look like? My daughter's look like little red speckles....not like the blisters I've seen in online pics of HFMD

Quoting adulation:

devasmom
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Strep would produce WHITE spots on the back of her throat. If she has red spots, you should take her back in. It could be a fungal infection, like thrush. Is she having trouble breathing through her mouth? Can she swallow water or other liquids? It sounds like she may have the Hand, Foot, Mouth disease.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

oceanus407
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM

She had thrush when she was about 4 months old and it doesn't look like trush. She isn't having a hard time breathing or swallowing liquids.

Quoting devasmom:

Strep would produce WHITE spots on the back of her throat. If she has red spots, you should take her back in. It could be a fungal infection, like thrush. Is she having trouble breathing through her mouth? Can she swallow water or other liquids? It sounds like she may have the Hand, Foot, Mouth disease.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)