Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever loaned money to someone?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM
  • 22 Replies

A few years back, we use to have neighbors that were the same age as us. We would hang out almost every night, have dinner together with our kids. Our kids were pretty close in age.  Well they were having a hard time financially. She was pregnant and they didnt have a car.  Well they came over to ask us for 250 bucks so they could buy this car off of a friend. They claimed they were gonna buy it for 600 and were 250 short. The reason they needed the money was so they could go out of state for his job. He was a carpenter. Little did we know that they needed the money and left the town for good. Never saw them again. Sometimes I wonder how people can do that to others. To this day I still have a hard time making friends. Its hard to trust.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlgb
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I rarely loan money. (as in maybe twice in my life) and I NEVER loan more than I can afford to lose. 

leejoy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM

my dad always taught us growing up that you never loan money you wouldn't just give away........this way it don't matter whether they pay it back or not.

Select and Copy your Ticker Code bellow.                                

orchid404
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I'm not really a good person to borrow money from.  I would have hunt them down.  BUT, I do hire friends.  Had they asked me, I would have offered them a job and paid them... 

ebbierowe
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM

no I have never loaned money...but I have given money to close friends and not expected to get it back...

If they get around to paying me back fine...but I never do it as a loan...but that is just me..

Bryan's High School Sweetheart in love (for 15 years)  

Mommy to Asiateen girl and Roman american football

and to twin girls Scarlett and Autumn twin girlswho went to Heaven 6/11/09

Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

gagegang
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM

We thought of doing this, we knew where her mom lived. We knew she was pregnant and didnt want do anything. We said if they needed it that bad they had to steal it, they can keep it.  God has really blessed us since then.

Quoting orchid404:

I'm not really a good person to borrow money from.  I would have hunt them down.  BUT, I do hire friends.  Had they asked me, I would have offered them a job and paid them... 

fakeitg00d
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM

i've let my sister borrow $10 when we shared a room but i wouldnt loan anyone money i didnt 100% trust and i would make the, sign soemthign saying they would pay it back because then that way if they dont then you can take them to court

[4.10.08]forever and ever

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM

My DH loaned some money to a "friend" of his (without telling me, no less) so the guy could get his car out of the shop and after he did he found out his "friend" had lost his job and would have no way to pay him back (not that he ever paid him back for the other times). I hope he learned his lesson, but I doubt it since he just loaned some money to a guy at work the other day and hasn't gotten it back yet *sigh*. I don't loan money to people so it really bugs me when he does this.

orchid404
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM

I understand the hard to trust people thing, I've seen way too many people get ripped off.  I loaned a friend money once, she got "stranded" in Australia.  I was not well off at the time and it was my rent money.  Well, when she got back in the states she told me how everyone she knew sent her money there and what fun she had.....  and I had to ask her for my money back, needed to pay rent..  not only was it a hassle, but she did not pay me the cost of sending it.  That sucked for me at the time, that was like food for a day back then!!!  So, yeah, I don't loan.

Quoting gagegang:

We thought of doing this, we knew where her mom lived. We knew she was pregnant and didnt want do anything. We said if they needed it that bad they had to steal it, they can keep it.  God has really blessed us since then.

Quoting orchid404:

unicorndreams
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM

I had a really good friend that was fighting for custody of her daughter.  Long story short, in defending herself, she lost everything, went bankrupt and was actually living on the street.  We took her in, helped her with what we could to get her back on her feet and loaned her $750 to retain a new attorney.  She was working again at that point and things were going great. She started to repay us but then when the economy hit the pits, she had moved out and lost her job... she decided not to look for another job and still owes us.  I basically have learned from that and that no good deed goes unpunished.  I did a good deed and Karma will pay me kindly, however, karma will pay her back three fold.  I am glad I am not in her shoes...

Sometimes, people just Suckkkkkk!

gagegang
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM

OMG!!! YOUR GO CRAZY THING IS FREAKIN FUNNY!!! LOL

Quoting orchid404:

I understand the hard to trust people thing, I've seen way too many people get ripped off.  I loaned a friend money once, she got "stranded" in Australia.  I was not well off at the time and it was my rent money.  Well, when she got back in the states she told me how everyone she knew sent her money there and what fun she had.....  and I had to ask her for my money back, needed to pay rent..  not only was it a hassle, but she did not pay me the cost of sending it.  That sucked for me at the time, that was like food for a day back then!!!  So, yeah, I don't loan.

Quoting gagegang:

Quoting orchid404:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)