Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please settle a fight for me

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:03 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it ok to take a bath

Options:

No

Yes

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

My sister says it's not ok to take a bath while you are pregnant, in fact she says it's not really a good idea to take a bath period because it can cause you an infection.

I say she is crazy that's just an old wives tale and it's ok to take a bath while preggers (and baths aren't bad for you in normal circumstances).

What do you think?

Who is a Veteran?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve -
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable
to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including
my life." That is an honor, and there are way too many people in this
country who no longer understand it. Author unknown

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiquidAmethyst
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:04 AM

i took baths all the time when i was preggo, just made sure the water wasn't too hot.  i never got an infection

steph2884
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:06 AM

The only time it would not be ok for you to take a bath at home is if your water has broken! You can take a bath anytime, as long as the water isn't hot. If it were true that you couldn't take a bath, do you think doctors and midwives would recommend swimming in a pool with germs, bacteria, and chemicals as a good exercise for pregnant women? I think not.

Rosieee

My Dr actually suggested I take a warm bath (warm, not hot. Hot is not okay) to relax and help w/ the back pain.

Lovegaia78

It's ok but you have to make sure the water isn't hot. It should be lukewarm..which defeats the purpose of a bath for me!

Joeysmomma21

With my son i took baths all the time!...and im pregnant now...and i still do...ive never heard of a problem taking a bath while pregnant...just make sure its not too hot...take a bath and relax mama!!

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
IowaMommie
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Yes, baths for you in general are fine ( I have never gotten an infection) and they are fine if you are pg, as long as you don't make it so hot that it's raising your body temp.  I took a bath all of the time with my 3 kids and they really help if you have hemorrhoids.

Oh, and after I got to the hospital I sat in the whirlpool bath while in labor with all three of my kids (after my water was broke) to help speed up delivery and ease the pain of contractions.

sassyscorpio85
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Taking baths has been known to cause Urinary tract infections because it's easier for bacteria to get in to the urinary tract because the urethra is short and is a direct opening to the urinary system...  As for being pregnant and bathing idk...

brennajoy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Thank you all for proving I'm not crazy. I told her if you can't take baths then why is ok to have a water birth.

Ahhhh I love being right! LOL

edwardsgirl
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM

baths are OK. Bubble baths are NOT OK for ANY girl; pregnant or not.

When i worked OB we would always make our postpartum patients take a warm bath, after they were cleaned up and urinated.

DazeDelights
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM

I took 3 baths daily while preggo. I didn't feel clean enough. lol Yeah I know looney but I never got infections. The only time my dr. wouldn't let me take a bath was after my water broke...but I did get to sit on the side of the tub and run hot water over my belly for contractions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)