Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Imagine the 2nd to worst thing that could happen at a public pool, and it happened to me today.

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:22 AM
  • 15 Replies

(First worst thing being, IMO, drowning or kidnapping)

I lost my daughter(3) at the pool. Granted, it was only for about 90 seconds - but it was the worst, most terrifying 90 seconds of my entire life. 12 hours later and I still feel panicky and guilty.  A few years ago I had a dream that I found my son face down in a pond, and it's an image that I haven't been able to get out of my head. To the point I get anxious anytime anyone else wants to take my kids swimming (Ironic, since as of yet I'm the only one to have lost her!).

DH and DS went to the car to grab something, and DD wanted to go down the little toddler slide. It was on a platform about 4 feet higher than the main pool area. I let her go up the steps on her own and wait in line. I was watching her the entire time. When she was next in line I waited at the end of the slide waiting for her to come down...it was an enclosed slide so I was looking up the slide waiting....and waiting...one kid goes down, two kids, three....I look up, she's not there. I stood there for a minute, then hauled ass to the top and she wasn't there. I ask the two lifeguards standing at the top if they saw her. They both said no. I ask the two lifeguards standing at the bottom of the slide...no. I start yelling, "My daughters gone!" and I'm sobbing hysterically. Meanwhile, those 4 lifeguards just stand there looking at me. I don't know what I expected them to do, but something other than stare at me. "You can go to the lifeguard post and give them her name and description and they'll cast it over the loudspeakers". For christ sake, this is a POOL, I'm not worried I just don't know where she is, I'm worried she's drowning somewhere! 

Then I spotted her, walking up some steps. Oh. My. God. I was sobbing even harder. I go and get her, and asked her where she went and what happened. "They made me go down the big yellow slide into the big water and I couldn't find you and I was scared!" *Tear*. The first 10+ times she went down the slide the lifeguards told her she was too small for the yellow one (height requirment), but it seems for whatever reason they redirected her to that one when it was her turn...even though it was right by the one I was waiting at I obviously wasn't looking for her there. 

So, there goes my Mother of the Year award! I still feel so guilty...I got lucky, insanely lucky, that nothing happened. I take 100% responsibility that I shouldn't have let her wait in the line by herself, even if I could see her, but I can't help but be a little aggrevated at how unhelpful the lifeguards were.      

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babybump87
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM

thank goodness she is safe.... ya, some "life guards" huh?  more like lifeless...

JudeandLucy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:30 AM

DH was like, "Well, what did you want them to do? They probably hear this 10 times a day...".  Hell, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure if I saw a hysterical pregnant woman screaming that she can't find her kid I'd at least try to help look, and I'm not even on the freakin' payroll!

Quoting babybump87:

thank goodness she is safe.... ya, some "life guards" huh?  more like lifeless...

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM

OMG! when I read the title I was thinking you farted and pooped in the pool or something, I was soooo off~!. lol Man I can totally understand how you feel that is scary. I have had incidents where dd has walked away from me any those seconds seem like forever. YOur not a bad mom that kind of stuff happends to all moms.

Lovegaia78
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I don't see how that makes you a bad mother at all. You thought she was in line! These things happen all the time, but I would totally freak as well.

tiffini06
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:37 AM

my husband and i where visitng with my parents and we went to my uncles down the road. They asked me to go check on there puppies( the dog just had them) and my husband came with me. Us thinking well my parents have it under control. I come back and my mom tells me my daughter fell in the pool i FREAKED out on her. Aparently my dad was supposed to be watching her and he had no clue. Thank god for my 8 year old cousin who reached down and pulled kennedy out. i SWEAR im never leaving her with my parents at a house with a pool again. I seriously still have anxiety and nightmares about what could have happend. The thing is my parents are norm awsome with her and always watch her like a hawk. So i guess things happen it just sucks when they happen to you. im glad shes ok... that happend to me as a kid at the pool i somehow ended up at the deep end and my gma couldnt find me after she went down the slide... i was terified she was crying my mom was so mad at her...im sorry it happend but thank goodness she was alright.

tiffini06
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:38 AM

i was thinking white baithing suit and lady time... lol

Quoting misssy2000:

OMG! when I read the title I was thinking you farted and pooped in the pool or something, I was soooo off~!. lol Man I can totally understand how you feel that is scary. I have had incidents where dd has walked away from me any those seconds seem like forever. YOur not a bad mom that kind of stuff happends to all moms.

JudeandLucy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:41 AM

lol...I would've gladly taken that instead!

Quoting tiffini06:

i was thinking white baithing suit and lady time... lol

Quoting misssy2000:

mommyof035and6
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I'm glad your daughter is ok...I sometimes wonder where they are getting their lifegaurds...I had a much milder incindent last week with my kids...I had my 1 yr old, 5 yr old and 8 yr old. as well as a friends 6 and 9 yr olds.  I was in the kiddie side holding the baby about waist deep on me.  the 5 and 6 yr olds were right by me and I let the 8 and 9 yr olds go in the current channel and whirlpool with lifejackets on.  It was getting to be time to go and my 8 yr old couldn't get out of the whirlpool.  Everytime she tried, the current pushed her back in...She was obviously getting beyond tired...I mentioned to the lifegaurd that she was having a hard time and she looked at me like "Well, she's still above water...what do you want me to do..." Fortunately she got out right after that but I was so irritated.  She didn't even offer to help her, ask another lifegaurd to help her or anything...I obviously couldn't run to save her with the baby...

maybe I just watched too many episodes of bay watch as a kid but I thought life gaurds were supposed to "jump into action" hasselhoff style LOL

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:45 AM

It is not your fault that you lost her. It was the lifeguards fault for telling her to go to a different slide then the one she was at the top of. It depends who is the lifeguard on whether they care or not. It's a shame that no one offered to help you. Not a lot of people are the caring type that would.

JudeandLucy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Hasselhoff style, lmao.

A small child stuck in the water...you'd think that calls for them doing something. But, I also assumed a missing 3 year old would call for the lifeguards to do something. Apparently not! God knows they're all over that damn whistle when they catch some kid splashing or someone sitting where they're not supposed to, though... 

Quoting mommyof035and6:

I'm glad your daughter is ok...I sometimes wonder where they are getting their lifegaurds...I had a much milder incindent last week with my kids...I had my 1 yr old, 5 yr old and 8 yr old. as well as a friends 6 and 9 yr olds.  I was in the kiddie side holding the baby about waist deep on me.  the 5 and 6 yr olds were right by me and I let the 8 and 9 yr olds go in the current channel and whirlpool with lifejackets on.  It was getting to be time to go and my 8 yr old couldn't get out of the whirlpool.  Everytime she tried, the current pushed her back in...She was obviously getting beyond tired...I mentioned to the lifegaurd that she was having a hard time and she looked at me like "Well, she's still above water...what do you want me to do..." Fortunately she got out right after that but I was so irritated.  She didn't even offer to help her, ask another lifegaurd to help her or anything...I obviously couldn't run to save her with the baby...

maybe I just watched too many episodes of bay watch as a kid but I thought life gaurds were supposed to "jump into action" hasselhoff style LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)