Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RE: Do You Sleep In While Your Kids Are Awake DANGEROUS!!!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:38 AM
  • 40 Replies

So last night I commented on a  post  "Kids playing while mom sleeps." I will at times have a lie in if me 11year old daughter is up with her brothers. Its not my right to judge anyone who has small children and has a lie in but after this morning I will always think twice about it.

My four year old who is almost five woke up this morning by himself and came down stairs. Managed to get the BBQ lighter and started a fire in my handbag. He came upstairs and said Mummy I am sorry I started your bag on fire. Much to my amazement by the grace of God my bag only had a whole in it and everything was a bit burnt.

We could all be dead right now. I didn't even hear him wake up but he did. He had to climb up on the counter to get the lighter that was hidden and he did. He doesn't normally do things like this. But he did. I didn't even smell the smoke until I went downstairs. I checked the fire alarm and it was not working.

So for all those mom's that have a lie in while there children are thinking. I would think twice because things like this or worse could happen. What if he would of went and took a hot bath. Or turned on the stove. At the end of the day our children are not the ones to blame if they get hurt. We are because we are there parents and we are here to keep them safe and watch over them. x

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Sorry that happened to you and glad everyone is ok! 

I still have no qualms about my almost-8-yr-old DD being awake while I'm asleep though.

squadiwife
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM

I can understand that. There is a big difference between a eight year old and a four year old. I don't mind having a lie in if my 11year old is up with her brothers.

However on last nights posts there were women that had small children that would just put on cartoons and let them stay up on there own. An eight year old could come get you if they needed and you can understand danger in your house unlike a small child.x

mitch576
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:10 AM

i don't sleep if they are awake..... my little ones would totally do something along the lines of what your 4 yr old did... in a hot second! lol

my 12 year old? sure.. he's twelve, he knows better.

i do not.. sleep if the 12 year old is home AND  the little ones because the 12 year old has adhd, o.d.d and pdd,nos { high functioning autism}

he is capable of watching them... but distractable. so i wouldn't be willing to take that chance.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

helloistaken
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Its funny, i have just been sitting here reading that same thread......

Sad about the mum whose 20 mth old daughter drowned and i was astounded to read some replys saying it had nothing to do with the mum sleeping, but the little girl should have been in a pack and play.......mum should have been awake or if that wasn't possible due to working late or something then, gates up .....something, anything so she could still have her two girls with her today.....uggh so sad........

I am so glad to hear your son didn't cause too much damage, very lucky indeed.....Maybe its just an eye opener you know......my little girl wouldn't even let me sleep,  dunno how these kids let their parents sleep lol....

I agree it is an age thing too, like the person above has an 8 yr old,  they know at that age right from wrong u know......my 4 yr old would think nothing of fillin up the washing machine, turning it on,  maybe turning on the dryer, oven etc.......no way i could sleep and have her unsupervised...... hope someone with younger kids reads your story and changes their tune.... the story of the baby drowning would have changed it for me if i slept while my child was awake......... sorry to have dragged on lol.........thanks for sharing and i am so glad nothing fatal came of your son doing what he did.

Rmiddelton
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM

I personally cannot do that. No matter how tired I am. I have a 5 year old and twin 11 month olds. 6 hours of sleep or 2 I am up when they get up and I do not sleep while they are up. I am not here to judge but older kids I guess would be ok. My little brother set our dinette set on fire when he was 5 (he's 24 now) and this was at 4 am. None of us gets up that early, don't know why he did, but he did. I know why he started the dinette on fire, it's because my older brother who was 12 at the time was a little frickin pyro and used to like to burn stuff. So he saw that and learned how to light a lighter. My parents were smokers so there were lighters around. Anyways, I don't trust my little 5 year old enough to always make a smart decision about dangerous situation. Little kids get scared sometimes and panic and try to cover things up so they dont get into trouble. I was suprised and in shock the first time my daughter tried to lie and cover up something that could have been dangerous. But she did and that is why. I don't want to be responsible for my child's death or injury.  I know my daughter is a very good girl, but I just feel like parents have a responsibility and that is to keep your kids safe. Being asleep while your small child is awake and playing is the same as leaving your child alone while you go somewhere.

squadiwife
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:36 AM

It is scary that in just a min. your whole life can change. It may not seem like much sleeping in until you have an eye opening experience for some of these women. Its really sad that some women can be so ignorant. I wouldn't think twice if my 11year old was up. However if she wasn't I would be up with my boys. Because they are boys and a handful. There are so many things that could happen.They could turn the T.V over on themselves, hurt each other and so fourth. i just couldn't live with myself knowing that my child is dead and I could have prevented it. So I hope some mom's think twice before leaving there little ones awake while they sleep. x

jajamama
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM

i will admit while i dont sleep sleep when my son is awake if i am sick or just very tierd i will lie down on the couch and wach a movie while he plays in his room (i can see him from the couch) i make a big point to keep the lights on and the movie kind of loud so i dont fal lasleep but i do get the rest i need

My little reason for being a work at home mommy,

if you want to find out how email me at  Meditec97@hotmail.com this is a real work at home opertunity you dont want to miss this!!!!

shabby.chic
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Have very scary for you!!!! So glad God protected ya'll this morning.

That is exactly why I love my very small home lol. I also have a baby monitor in my room. I can't sleep if the kids are awake, but sometimes relax while my 5 year old is up and the baby is sleeping. So if he's acting up in the kitchen/living room, I can hear him clear as day, and if he goes back to his room, I can hear everything he does through the baby monitor.

Poor kid still can't figure out how I caught him sneaking into the baby room to watch her sleep. Creaky floors are also great!

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

skinnyminnie121
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I always made myself get up when they were little, but now my babies are 9, 11, and 15 so.... I can FINALLY sleep in!

squadiwife
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I'm thinking about getting a baby monitor. Lmao It's kinda funny because I have never had one and now my kids are getting a bit older. I don't know what it is I used to be a light sleeper. However it seems lately I don't hear anything when I am sleeping and the kids are up first. x

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)