Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a job with all these damn online applications? Anyone find it harder?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
  • 24 Replies

Anyone else have this problem?  This is actually more about my kids than me, but both say while the online applications certainly make it easier to apply for a job it makes it so much harder to actually get a job. The stores/company's get so many more applications because it requires less time to sit and a computer and fill them out one after one than it does if you have to drive from place to place. And the stores don't get to put a name to a face. My son complains that if he could talk to the manager he could probably get him to give him a try but there's no "see, look what I can do" when your staring at a computer screen. Anyone else feel the same?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liv4lazydaze
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I know what you mean.My 18yo son is having one hell of a time finding a job.Most places,even alot of fast food places,want online apps.

sarah969
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I hate it does feel like I am even trying

banner2.jpg picture by Songtress1986

Leener3
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM

My son said he went to fill out an application online for a job at parts store (he needs a summer job.) The directions required him to take a "test" to see if he was qualified to work a cash register, if he passed the "test" he would then be approved to fill out the application. The "test" had over 50 questions such as "If an item cost 12.99 and the customer gave you 15.00 what would the change be?"  Well for one my son has worked a cash register since he was 15 and second, he is an engineering student taking 400 level calculus classes. If the manager could have just met him in person he would have been able to asses in less than 1 minute that he had the math skills to work a cash register. My daughter filled out an application to work at an amusement park and was also required to take a "test" hers was had 20 essay questions like "If you were just getting ready to go on your break and a customer got in line what would you do?"  My daughter said by question 20 she was ready to just write "go eat my lunch!" 

wendy1978
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Yes! My DH has only got 2 calls back and 1 interview after about 30 online apps!!! GRRr 

I love my boys !boy kissing mombaby boybaseball

Leener3
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I would also think it would make it harder for the stores. I mean, a person sits one Saturday and fills out 20 applications. He gets a job.  It's not like he goes back and unapplies at the other 19.  So 19 stores are reviewing an application for a person who already has a job and is no longer interested.  There has to be a better way. 

Kestrel1
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM

YES!

I'm a 'people person' (believe it or not.. snerk!) and when I can walk in, shake a hand and make a connection, I've always done very well.  This whole fill in the bubbles and wait thing isn't in my favor.

In a way, I think it allows them to discriminate without discriminating.  They can choose the candidate who will work the hours for the least amount of pay, since on paper experience doesn't have as much value.  I can pay a 16yo with one previous job minimum wage, whereas an older person with years of experience is going to cost more, and doesn't get to convey that experience in a way that showcases it effectively and only looks like a higher pricetag without the higher return.

Leener3
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I agree 100%.

Quote:

In a way, I think it allows them to discriminate without discriminating.

Expectingpeanut
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I have a suggestion I don't know if it would work but it would be worth a try.  Have who ever is applying go into the store and talk to the manager, see if they are still hiring and have a chat.  I bet most people don't do that.  Most managers take a couple days to figure out who would be best.  Maybe even go in the next day.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Yup I was looking for a job and applied to what seemed like thousands of places online. I filled out one paper applications and I got a call back a week later.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

TattedUpGirlie1
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I totally agree with you and your son. I just lost my job last week after being there for almost 5 years, and now I am on a hunt for a new job and so many places have these stupid on-line applications. I hate having to answer the 100 personality questions or whatever they are, I heard that if you don't pass that part to a certain percentage then the store doesn't even get your application. I would much rather come into the store fill out the application that way cause then I at least know they recieved it. I have never once got a call back from a place that I applied to on-line, and I know that some of the places I applied to would have probably hired me if I could have filled out a normal application.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)