Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House breaking a Shih tzuh poo (Spelling?)

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:03 AM
  • 6 Replies

We will be getting a shih tzhi/poodle mix next month and it is just a baby will be about 6 wks old and I need to know how the heck to house break it.  HELP!

I am a Wife & Momma.  I am a Certified Domestic Violence Advocate,  Car Seat Technician, & CPR/First Aid TechExtended Rear Facing & Extended Harnessing Saves Lifes. It is NOT about LAWS it IS about LIVES!! 

Over 90% of all car seats are not installed or used properly, is yours one?  Please message me or view my journal. 

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Take it outside every 20-30 minutes. Praise it when it pees/poos outside, give a little treat when they come back in the house.

I dunno why people freak out about potty training dogs. It's easer than potty training kids. lol

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

PiscesMommy021
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM

My mom has a shi-poo (shih tzu/poodle mix) and she bought her when she was 8 weeks old, so all she did was buy some puppy pads and place 2 downstairs in different places and 3 upstairs and she told her to pee/poop,for the first few days she would carry her to the puppy pads after she ate or when she thought she had to go until she got the hang of it on her own. She did have a mistake on the carpet a few times but my mom popped her with a rolled newspaper about 3 times and she didn't use  it on the carpet anymore. hope this helps

hepburnkids
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM

When we got our poodle we crate treaned him. It was very easy. You put a pad dpwn in there with him. I wouldalso take him out ever hour. Give him lots of love when he dose good, but don't give him a treat he will want ont one every time.

TattedUpGirlie1
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Potty Training little dogs can be such a hassel because a lot of them do not like to go outside, more so when it is cold outside. I am a Pet Care technician so I get asked about potty training alot. I would take the puppy out every 1-1 1/2 hours, have treats with you, and when you get outside, tell the puppy to potty outside or whatever command you are going to use for potty but add outside to it. And when the puppy goes to the bathroom praise him/her a lot and give a treat. Also if the puppy has an accident inside, tell him/her no potty inside. I wouldn't use puppy pads unless you want the puppy to use the bathroom in the house on those all the time. And I do not agree with crate training but that is just me. I hope my advice helps.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

cjsmom0206
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Patience...I have a purebred shih-tzu, they take a little longer to potty train then other breeds. I gave her treats when she would make it outside.....but after she was trained, she could go all day and not have an accident in the house which she has free reign over...we do not kennel her when we leave the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)