Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when can my ds start using a booster seat?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM
  • 24 Replies

my ds is almost 2 and 28lbs. dh wanted to know when we can start using the high back boosters? the ones i have seen says 30lbs. i think i want to hold off until he is 3. but idk. 

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlgb
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM

40 pounds

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:03 AM

4 years and 40 pounds although its recommended they be in a 5 point harness as long as possible.

reelo
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM

It depends on your state, most are 4 years and 40lbs but, as you know, the longer they can stay in a 5pt harness the safer he will be.  Even at 4/40 a lot of kids can have serious injuries in just the booster because they aren't physically ready. 

milinsmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

My daughter just turned 4 on May 30th , weighs 33 pounds, and she is  a little over 39 inches tall. We just put her in a booster seat (has no back though). The car seat safety  installer at a fire department told use we could place the seat on a towel. This will raise her up some more, so the seat belt go across her shoulder and not her neck. Her seat states a weight of 30-100 pounds and height of 34-57 inches.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
jcsmummy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM

most booster seat boxes say 30 pound, but the law in most places is 4 years AND 40 pounds. even then it is reccomended that they are harnessed to a higher weight, but 4 and 40 is the minimum.  

yeah. i'm that one. 

saralouise
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM

when he's 15 

LukesMommy912
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM

My son is the same age as yours and his seat harnesses to 65 lbs so he won't be in a booster until he's around 6 years old. I think my son is way too little for a booster and he definitely couldn't sit correctly in it everytime. Google the 5 step test for booster seats. A child shouldn't sit in a booster until they can pass all 5 steps.

s.t.e.p.h
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM

check your state laws. My 3 year old is 33 pounds and I believe 36 inches tall, he's still in a 5 point, and will be for some time.

((*Steph-23 year old stay at home momma to my 3 March babies:Elijah,Brayden and Hannah.

wedding web site

LukesMommy912
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Sorry, I got mixed up. The 5 step test is for when a child can graduate out of a booster. But I did find this on carseat.org for you.

However, some children should NOT be in boosters.
Children under 40 pounds and under the age of four should remain in a 5 point harness at all times.

A booster does not restrain the child the way the harness does, it simply "boosts" the child up in order to make the adult-sized belt safely fit a child-sized body. Children under age 4 do not possess the ability to sit perfectly at all times, and a child who leans forward to retrieve a cup or toy, or who twists around to see something or someone behind them, will not be protected in a crash and is at risk for serious injuries and possibly death. Also, children this age sometimes still fall asleep in the car. The slumping that occurs when this happens means they are not properly positioned and should be in a 5 point harness for that trip. Ideally all children should remain in an appropriate 5 point harness until age 5.

Quoting LukesMommy912:

My son is the same age as yours and his seat harnesses to 65 lbs so he won't be in a booster until he's around 6 years old. I think my son is way too little for a booster and he definitely couldn't sit correctly in it everytime. Google the 5 step test for booster seats. A child shouldn't sit in a booster until they can pass all 5 steps.

Cognito
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Please watch these before moving him to a booster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfIuhL3cXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ&feature=related

Milo Emery 12-13-06 Safely Harnessed in a Britax Regent & Graco Nautilus

Jareth Remy 5-6-08 Officially Extended Rear Facing in a Graco SS1

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)