Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any advice? My son is sick.

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
  • 8 Replies
Any one have any advice, tricks, etc. for dealing with a 9 month old with a stomach bug? Luckily it appears to be a 24 hour bug. My husband had it yesterday and I got it last night. I walked into Gavin's room this morning and was met by a wall of puke smell. I've got the Gentle Naturals (?) Tummy Soothers that I'm giving him now but no word on if it works yet. Anyone have any advice? He's never gotten sick before so I'm new to this one.***** What flavor of Pedialyte has everyone found their kid's preferred? Gavin isn't much into juice type stuff and I want to get something that we're more likely to be able to get him to drink.
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Heartlight617
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM
Call your pedi, just to be safe. Also, once he is not vomiting, try frozen Pedialyte Pops to replace electrolytes lost w/ vomiting and or diarrhea. This keeps baby from getting dehydrated. Keep an eye on temp. and whether baby is pulling on ears, or not eating (? sore throat). Good luck!
Carol
gobimom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

the most important thing is to make sure he stays hydrated...use pedialyte or gatorade - try to get at least 1 oz per hour.  Monitor his urine output ( make sure he has wet diapers ).  Do not rehydrate with water ~ sick children need sugar and electrolytes.  Hope he is better soon.

dychemommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM
Thanks, We've given him a bottle of formula so far, only been up for an hour or so. His morning diaper wasn't nearly as full as normal. What kind/flavor of pedialyte have you found most successful with kids? I imagine that there are some flavor that do better than others. He's not really a juice drinker so I want to go into this with a good shot of getting him to drink it. Luckily he was cool as a cucumber before I put him down with a bottle.
momtoamo
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I do not think it is recommended to give a 9 month old pedylight.  Certainly not gatorade.  What you need to do is give his formula or water in small doses.  If he keeps throwing up give at least 10cc at a time about every 15 min.  Until he keeps it down, then up the dose 5cc at a time.  The goal is to keep him hydrated, nutrients are not necessary.  Now if he eats food, and is keeping down the formula/water, try some applesauce or banana, possibly rice.  Food though is not important until he is hungry.  So small amounts of formula and water until he keeps it down.  Good luck.  I would also just give him bunches of cuddles, it has to be very scary for him to be sick.

"Abandoning the children in the forest to feed ourselves/  We will all stay more healthy if we do not distribute wealth/  Aimed friendly fire/  There is only greed living the life that we desire/  As we set sail across the raging sea/  Unconquerable by reality....."  Anti-Flag.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:32 AM

My pediatrician and the ER doc we saw with dd said to stay away from gatorade, stick with pedialyte for kids under 3.  Just saying that is what they both said (dh drinks gatorade so we always have it in the house so I thought that would be more convient but they were both very adament about staying away from it). 

Quoting gobimom:

the most important thing is to make sure he stays hydrated...use pedialyte or gatorade - try to get at least 1 oz per hour.  Monitor his urine output ( make sure he has wet diapers ).  Do not rehydrate with water ~ sick children need sugar and electrolytes.  Hope he is better soon.

OP-just try to keep him hydrated and if his temp goes up to past 101 call his pediatrician.  They may have some advice for you that may not come up here.  Good luck, DD has had two stomach bugs since february (one was a week long and the other was just a 48hr one)!

gobimom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Quoting momtoamo:

I do not think it is recommended to give a 9 month old pedylight.  Certainly not gatorade.  What you need to do is give his formula or water in small doses.  If he keeps throwing up give at least 10cc at a time about every 15 min.  Until he keeps it down, then up the dose 5cc at a time.  The goal is to keep him hydrated, nutrients are not necessary.  Now if he eats food, and is keeping down the formula/water, try some applesauce or banana, possibly rice.  Food though is not important until he is hungry.  So small amounts of formula and water until he keeps it down.  Good luck.  I would also just give him bunches of cuddles, it has to be very scary for him to be sick.

I am a pediatric RN ~ it is absolutely appropriate to use pedialyte or gatorade.  Do NOT use water to rehydrate unless they are taking plenty of other fluids.  If they tolerate pedialyte then yes go ahead and advance to formula.  Introduce solids slowly starting out with bland foods such as rice, bananas etc.

gobimom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Kellileanne:

My pediatrician and the ER doc we saw with dd said to stay away from gatorade, stick with pedialyte for kids under 3.  Just saying that is what they both said (dh drinks gatorade so we always have it in the house so I thought that would be more convient but they were both very adament about staying away from it). 

Quoting gobimom:

OP-just try to keep him hydrated and if his temp goes up to past 101 call his pediatrician.  They may have some advice for you that may not come up here.  Good luck, DD has had two stomach bugs since february (one was a week long and the other was just a 48hr one)!

They recommend pedialyte over gatorade because of the amount of sugar gatorade contains....some pedi's however will say to use gatorade if you are unable to get an older child or infant to drink the pedialyte.

dychemommy
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Thank you ladies for your help! He's doing much better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)