Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

strawberry freezer jam

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have a question about it! I've made it before, several times.  Each time, I carefully follow the directions.  Well for some reason, the last 4 batches I've made this year haven't been turing out quite right.  The sugar is NOT disolving.  Can anyone tell me why or how to fix it?  I'm using surjell, which calls for 2 C. crushed berries and 4 C. sugar.  Thanks for any help!

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
purplemoosemom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM

bump

abmm
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I don't know what to tell you on that. I haven't used Sure Jell but I have some Ball Fruit Jell and it calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 4 cups of fruit and that makes 5- 8oz jars. 4 cups just seems like a lot of sugar.

purplemoosemom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I've used ball before too.  :)  The difference in recipes I *think* is that one is freezer jam and one is the traditional cooked jam. 

Quoting abmm:

I don't know what to tell you on that. I haven't used Sure Jell but I have some Ball Fruit Jell and it calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 4 cups of fruit and that makes 5- 8oz jars. 4 cups just seems like a lot of sugar.

25beengoodtome
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I haven't made freezer jam in years. Aren't you s'posed to dissolve the sugar in the water - heated to almost boiling before adding the berries and Surejell?

~ Marie, GO.-ADDICTED TO CAFE MOM
cjsmom0206
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

I haven't made freezer jam in years. Aren't you s'posed to dissolve the sugar in the water - heated to almost boiling before adding the berries and Surejell?

abmm
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:56 PM

The one I have is freezer jam pectin. No cooking involved. Just says to mix the sugar and pectin together and then add the crushed fruit.

Quoting purplemoosemom:

I've used ball before too.  :)  The difference in recipes I *think* is that one is freezer jam and one is the traditional cooked jam.

Quoting abmm:

purplemoosemom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Hmm, that's interesting.  I may have to find some and try it--see what the difference is! LOL  I just bought the regular surejell and followed the directions for freezer jam.  It tastes good, but it didn't turn out the way it has in the past.  And 4 C fruit w/1 1/2 C sugar sounds a lot better than 4 C sugar!! thanks!

Quoting abmm:

The one I have is freezer jam pectin. No cooking involved. Just says to mix the sugar and pectin together and then add the crushed fruit.

Quoting purplemoosemom:

Quoting abmm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)