Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just wondering if i am too over protective

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM
  • 24 Replies

my daughter is 5 yrs old and my SO's boys are 5 and 7.  we live across the street from a park and SO thinks it is okay for the kids to go play over there alone.  i don't think this is okay and i don't let my daughter do it, i also will not let the boys do it when i am alone with them.  i refuse to be the one held responsible if they get hurt or kidnapped.  i just now have gotten to where i think it's okay for them to be in the backyard by themselves because we finally have a fenced in back yard and i am able to just look out the window and see that they are okay.  that park across the street from us is HUGE and i would not be able to just look out the window and see them, i wouldn't know if they were really at the park or somewhere else unless i walked over there to look for them which defeats letting them go alone.  SO is saying that this is why his kids don't like it here.  because their mom lets them go to the park by her house by themselves.  i think if she wants to do this it is her choice but she will have no one to blame but herself if something happens.  i will not put myself in that position.  what do you ladies think?  would you let children this young go play by themselves like that or would you think they still need supervision for stuff like that?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I dont know what I would do, I have never had that situation. My DS is still too lil. Personally I think the 7 year old would be ok, but the others are too young.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM

My daughter is almost 8 and she plays outside without me. Sometimes in the yard, other times a bit down the street with other neighborhood children. I didn't allow her to do so until this year. I do have ask though, when will you allow the children to play on their own? Even 15 year olds CAN be kidnapped. Not bashing at all :o) Like I said, I do believe that 5 is too young.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church. I am very conservative and a proud Republican.              Aimee

Dvlshly_Sweet
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I agree with you! Of course the kids will like it better with no supervision... maybe thats why she does it... so she can one up the dad! Good luck and keep doing what you are doing!! =)

cjsmom0206
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM

In the neighborhood I'm in, if we had a park across the street that I could see, maybe.....but I would have to be in my yard watching him (my oldest)...but in most neighborhoods I would say no...I don't think you are too overprotective. I live in a place where kids play outside all the time. It's really safe here..can something still happen? Of course, it's possible, but not likely.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM

If I couldn't see them, I wouldn't. These days there's too much crap that can happen, even if they're just across the street.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

milmiracle
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I think u r doing fine following your instincts.  If your 5 year old is your first one I can see how u r like that cuz it's kind of normal.  Also the other kids I believe u r doing the right thing too.  They are not yours and we tend to be a little over protective w/ the ones that don't belong to us.  If their dad lets them go out there so be it, u don't worry.  If u don't want to let yours go don't.  Everyone is different when it comes to that and for good reason.   

evilangel23
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM

i know this sounds bad but honestly i don't want to let them go alone because i do not want to put myself in the position where SO or the kids' mom can blame me for something going wrong.  i think the 5 yr olds are too young anyway and the 7 yr old is not old enough to watch out for them.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is almost 8 and she plays outside without me. Sometimes in the yard, other times a bit down the street with other neighborhood children. I didn't allow her to do so until this year. I do have ask though, when will you allow the children to play on their own? Even 15 year olds CAN be kidnapped. Not bashing at all :o) Like I said, I do believe that 5 is too young.

vickieb310
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM

To be honest, I'm usually one to say, yeah you're being overprotective.  But I don't think I would let two 5yos and a 7yo play in a public park alone either.  Maybe if there was an older kid there that I TRUSTED I might for short intervals...having to check in every 20-30 minutes.

Fit_Momma_Of_2
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Quoting Dvlshly_Sweet:

I agree with you! Of course the kids will like it better with no supervision... maybe thats why she does it... so she can one up the dad! Good luck and keep doing what you are doing!! =)

evilangel23
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM

anyone else?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)