Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insect Bite? or something else

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

Yesterday my almost 3 year old wke with a swollen eye (see pic) to me it looked like a bite.  I tried several things which he fought (apple slice, onion slice, heat and ice) he finally let me use baking sda paste.  The swelling went about 1/2 way down, but this morning it was sollen almost as bad again and is more red.

I can't get ahold of a Dr till morning.  I gave him 1/2 t of benedryl but he is fighting anything going near his eye/eyelid.  Any suggestions are helpful please PM  if you have suggestions.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krista778
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Might e a stye but I'm not sure. Just keep an eye on him and definately call the dr in the morning.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Do you see a bite anywhere?

Kelli.and.Ellie
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM

hmm wow..idk if that would be a bite. does it hurt him? ichy? is his actual eye red or pink looking?

Equals my World

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Children's Health Issues

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

BIMOM21
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I would watch it. It could be a staph infection.

"And when they hear it, hopefully they spirit’ll listen, And they won’t
spend all of they life just wishin’, Stop, and restart…forgive, never
forget, And never live any life buried in regret"

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

abellababy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM

My daughter had the SAME thing a while back. I freaked, took her to doc and the pedi said it was an allergic reaction. It was like that for 2 days before I bought her and I was only putting warm compress on it. I thought it was a stye too. Her eye itself wasnt red at all. Gave her benadryl and it totally went away instantly almost!

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:36 PM

It's his eyelid only.  He has had a sty on his lower lid before that lasted a couple weeks.  After  I gave his second dose of benedryl at nap time and he fell asleep Io was able to apply a cornstarch and benedryl paste.  He doesn't want anything near his face s I am quessing it itches.

He can tell you if something hurts (he'll say "finger hurts" or whatever) and hasn't said his eye does, but not wanting it touched makes you wonder.He took a third dose of Benedryl at 6pm and I took this pic after.  The white is the paste not drainage.

ReinsKitten
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I'd definitely guess it's a reaction to a bite of some kind, especially if the benadryl is helping. My son has bad reactions to bites, even just mosquito bites. He had one on his eye as well, and his whole swelled up, we took him to the dr (I was freaking out of course), and it was just a bite. He warned me that it would get worse before it got better, even wiith benadryl, and sure enough he woke up the next morning w/ his eye swollen shut. I felt SO bad!! But it did go down and eventually went away after a few days. The eye is just such a sensitive area, it reacts more and swells more, whether or not the child is sensitive to bites normally. Anyways, that's my experience and thoughts. Good Luck, hope he's feeling better soon!! 

preview image 

preview image 

alwaysyoung
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Quoting krista778:

Might e a stye but I'm not sure. Just keep an eye on him and definately call the dr in the morning.

jennamil47
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM

My daughter's eye looked exactly like that when she had pink eye.

preview image

proud working mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)