Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what kind of diet can I be on while BF?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 5 weeks old. He is strictly breast fed and I got about 30 pounds to loose lol. I had a c-section so I can just finally start to work out.

I am going to hit the tread mill every night and now I need to know what to eat to loose my baby fat lol.

Can I tak one of thosee drinking diets? Or do I have to eat? And is one meal a day enough as long as I drink plenty fluid?

Mother of 4  Nicholas Andre',Cerina Renee,Emma May and Benjamin Blaze

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Datina
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:11 PM

You really need to eat to get every nutrient possible for you son, but look up The Zone Diet. It basically teaches you what/how to eat... and there's a special section for breastfeeding mothers. I loved it when I was nursing.

rhianonmat
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Yes... you have to eat!   Your baby is relying on you.  Just don't over-eat and the weight will go.  You HAVE to eat while breastfeeding. 

You may want to lose weight, but your baby deserves the nutrition.  If you deprive yourself You're depriving him.

I don't mean to sound harsh... not at all.  I understand wanting to get back in shape.  Just please do it sensibly.

L

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Breastfeeding Groups

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM

You do need to eat.Make sure your get a variety of fruits and vegtables,because he needs the vitamins.Also just consider what ever your eating and how it could possibly be healthier with out sacraficing any nutrients.For example:Rather than chicken stips cut up one chicken strip andput it in a salad using a light dressing.Rather than fried chicken do baked (there are some recipies where you can still bread the chicken and bake).Want a pizza?Make it your self and load it in veggies,light on the cheese and opt for a healthier sauce.There are tons of ways to loose weight but right now your baby needs your breast milk to be fatty.Make sure to keep drinking water other wise you will dry up.Remeber breast feeding alone helps you loose too!Nothing wrong with a good work out just dont starve you and that baby.Fiber&water are key to a good diet.

IowaMommie
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you want to successfully bf, YES YOU NEED TO EAT!  Not just one meal, but all of them.  You need to eat about 300 more calories than a non-pg person eats.  You can exercise to help, but just eat healthy foods and the weight will come off.  If you don't getr calories/nutrients, then neither will your baby and that's not fair to him.  I know how badly you want to loose the weight, but depriving yourself and your baby is not the way to go and would be selfish to him.  So please eat and eat normallly!

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Eat about 1800-2000 calories a day. Cut out some of your carbs, like bread, tortillas, crackers.

However, you have to watch your baby's reactions to the foods you eat, as certain foods can cause gas, colic, diaper rash.

Try to avoid:

oranges, caffeine, chocolate, strawberries, tomatoes,(including marinara sauces)  "gassy" foods-beans, onions, etc. until you know your baby can tolerate them. Some people can tolerate these in decreased amounts.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

elleinad
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I lost 20 pounds on Weight Watchers while breastfeeding. It really is the best diet out there for breastfeeding because it lets you eat all the essential foods you need and you don't starve yourself, hurting your milk supply. I highly highly recommend.

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)