Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People on PA should better themselves... please expand

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

Yep, another PA post. But I've seen a LOT of people saying this, and yet when I've asked for clarification I've had none. My DH is on unemployment and desperately seeking another job. He has lots of certifications, a class B CDL, experience in a lot of areas and is still having a really tough time finding a job. We just got a notice from the state saying that he can attempt to get a Pell Grant to pay for a course to get his class A.

But here's the issue I'm finding. A LOT of people who have already paid for a higher education and have degrees are on PA. You're telling them to "better themselves". Why? So they can get a better job that they won't get laid off from? Oh ya... they already did that. They got a degree, they got a better job, and now they've been laid off. In this current economy going to school to get more education or better yourself doesn't hold much value or guarantee of a job.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitch576
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM

dignity......a lost concept here at cafe.

wow man... why do you feel the need to explain something... that is NOONES  business?

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

cjsmom0206
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You're right, many have degree's already. However, many of these courses pertain to resume building, interviewing and applications. Who couldn't use a refresher course in these? Furthermore, they want you off PA as quick as possible and are willing to offer the classes to increase your chances of getting hired.

the_littles2007
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

clapping

I totally agree with you! I got a degree in the medical field and then got laid off TWICE before I landed the job I have now.

On the other hand, a Pell Grant you/hubby will never have to pay back. So if ya'll can get the grant I would go for it. If you have to take out student loans then don't, cause you'll just dig your hole deeper.

Good Luck!

I am a quick food feeding, vaccinating, public school sending, overweight but non dieting, smoking, christian but non church going, mother of 2, step mom to 4, Obama voting, cafemom loving, french fry eating mom, who loves NO ONE! Have a great day!

Jafra_mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Oh we will be! We're just hoping that they'll let him attend a school out of state. We're in Wyoming, but we're on the border of Utah and it would be closer for him to go to a school in Salt Lake City than it would be Cheyenne.

Quoting the_littles2007:

clapping

I totally agree with you! I got a degree in the medical field and then got laid off TWICE before I landed the job I have now.

On the other hand, a Pell Grant you/hubby will never have to pay back. So if ya'll can get the grant I would go for it. If you have to take out student loans then don't, cause you'll just dig your hole deeper.

Good Luck!

2BZY
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM

There is a big difference between having certifications and having a degree.  Certifications are usually very job specific and if there is no work in that field a person is screwed.  I do not have much sympathy for people who go to college to get degrees when they have no clue what they are going to do with  the degree or what  the jobmarket is like for the degree that they have.  A degree in political science or a generic degree in liberal arts is not going to put food on the table.  Having a degree does not guarantee a person a career.  A combination of work experience and education is needed to find a good job.  Many people honestly do not know how to market themselves and successfully look for work either.   

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

If I could not get a job in my trained profession, then I would take them up on their offer to train me. Why on earth would you not? Maybe you could train while he stays home. Just a thought.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

abbynzachsmommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM

IMO this is specifically directed at those who LIVE off PA because they can...not because they have to. For instance, my sister, has no high school diploma but has had the chance several times over to go get her GED AND get her CNA AND go to nursing school...ALL paid for by the state.  She has yet to do any of those and has no excuse since I have offerd to baby sit, drive her, etc. and so have several other family members. Its same story with the majority of people I know who are on PA and have been for an extended period of time.

Its one thing to have to get assistance for a while, even when you have a degree, job skills, experience, etc, simply because this economy sucks and the job market double sucks. However, I don't feel that asking anyone receiving PA to take certain courses to help them better their station (financially) in the long run, is asking too much.

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Pregnant with baby #3? join us! ~ Pregnant again!...baby#3

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

devasmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Unemployment is NOT PA!!!! You actually pay money out of each paycheck and your employer pays Unemployment insurance fro each of his/her employees while they are working for him/her. That is where unemployment compensation comes from. That is why the amount you get from UI depends on what your earnings were at your most recent job. Also, you have to pay taxes on your UI compensation, with PA you do not!

I'm not sure what area of Cali you live in, but some of the school districts here are hiring bus drivers. you don't need your class B CDL, they'll train you for it, FREE, but if you have one, which you say your DH does, you have a better chance of being hired sooner. He should look into this at districts within your area. DH is waiting for the classes to start for his Class B CDL.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

devasmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Well here in California, and I'm sure other parts of the country, people with degrees were working in the profession they went to school for and have been laid off. Some were at their jobs for several years.  Yahoo! is about 10 minutes away from me...guess what...16,000 employees are being let go as of 6/26. No one plans to be out of work after working so hard at school, and the types of degrees you mentioned could get people jobs as teachers or professors.

Quoting 2BZY:

There is a big difference between having certifications and having a degree.  Certifications are usually very job specific and if there is no work in that field a person is screwed.  I do not have much sympathy for people who go to college to get degrees when they have no clue what they are going to do with  the degree or what  the jobmarket is like for the degree that they have.  A degree in political science or a generic degree in liberal arts is not going to put food on the table.  Having a degree does not guarantee a person a career.  A combination of work experience and education is needed to find a good job.  Many people honestly do not know how to market themselves and successfully look for work either.   

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

cdgoldilocks
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Quoting devasmom:

Unemployment is NOT PA!!!! You actually pay money out of each paycheck and your employer pays Unemployment insurance fro each of his/her employees while they are working for him/her. That is where unemployment compensation comes from. That is why the amount you get from UI depends on what your earnings were at your most recent job.

I'm not sure what area of Cali you live in, but some of the school districts here are hiring bus drivers. you don't need your class B CDL, they'll train you for it, FREE, but if you have one, which you say your DH does, you have a better chance of being hired sooner. He should look into this at districts within your area. DH is waiting for the classes to start for his Class B CDL.

There is a sign down by my kids school for bus drivers, though CA has shit for budget. I see them cutting down bus routes.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)