Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help!!!!! **EDIT**

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

I work a rather weird schedule, 7 days, 10 hour overnights(10 pm- 8 am) then 7 days off and then schedule repeats.  I need some ideas on how to boost my energy for the days I work.  By 3 AM I am exhausted even though I get plenty of sleep during the day.  I have tried coffee and other caffine drinks, they help for a little while but I usually end up tired again by 5.

Also if anyone knows any ways to keep my feet from hurting non-stop during the week, I would appreciate the help on that too.  I bought so good insoles, but they dont really help.  I have super high arches and I can't stand wearing shoes and socks, even good comfortable shoes irritate me to no end.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I work at Walgreens as an overnight cashier.  It is just me, a manager and the pharmisist there at night, so I am all over the store all night long.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
WAHM_Teresa
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM

What kind of work is it that you do?  Obviously you stated your feet hurt so you're on your feet - have you been to a podiatrist (sp)?  You may need a special inset due to your arches.

Twizlr
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Quoting WAHM_Teresa:

What kind of work is it that you do?  Obviously you stated your feet hurt so you're on your feet - have you been to a podiatrist (sp)?  You may need a special inset due to your arches.

Probably can't afford that until after my insurance kicks in after I have been there for 6 months.  Right now I have been there for almost a month.

sweetiepea22
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM

i agree with thePP my father had very high arches and now he is flat footed and has to have special insoles. i am guessing you may be a nurse and if that is the case i would buy like some shoes for crews i was a server and they wourked wonders for me cause they form to your feet. the first few times you wear them they will feel funny but once you break them in they are good. as for the problems with being tired try taking some snacks with you and munch on or even some gum when i have to do over night shifts this helps me out. little spirts of carbs will keep your body going. eat a dinner high in carbs to give your body plenty of fuel. most of the drinks and stuff are just sugar so they will work fine for an hour or 2 but about 3 hours afterwards you are more tired than when you started and that is counter productive

"One must live, not only exist; he must do, not merely be; he must grow, not just vegetate.
We must use our talents in behalf of our fellowmen rather than burying them in the tomb of a self-centered life."

WAHM_Teresa
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Oh boy this is tough.  Since it's basically just you and a manager there's really not much you can do since you have to work the cash register.  It's not like you could take a mini cat nap on your break. lol

What about a handheld game?  What do you normally do especially if nobody comes in?

sweetiepea22
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:38 PM

i used to work at walgreens lol!!!!!!!!!!!! i would try the shoes for crews they are a little expensive... like 50 or so but they lasted me like 2 years before i got rid of them cause they looked bad from all the nast stuff lol and with a place like that overnight it is also important to keep your mind busy. the more you think about how tired you are the more itred you will be if that makes sense at all

"One must live, not only exist; he must do, not merely be; he must grow, not just vegetate.
We must use our talents in behalf of our fellowmen rather than burying them in the tomb of a self-centered life."

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:38 PM

have no clue but here is a bump

Twizlr
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quoting WAHM_Teresa:

Oh boy this is tough.  Since it's basically just you and a manager there's really not much you can do since you have to work the cash register.  It's not like you could take a mini cat nap on your break. lol

What about a handheld game?  What do you normally do especially if nobody comes in?

Straighten the shelves, stock, clean, get really really bored at about 6 AM when all the work is down lol!

lcappytan05
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Oh, geez....how i dont miss those days! I used to be a manager at a fast food restaurant and I would be on my feet my whole 8/9 hour shift....it sucked!

For high arches (which i have), you need to get shoes specifically for that purpose. Shoes with high arches tend to have more padding and lift higher where the arch is for more support. I would go to a larger shoe store (with lots of selections) and talk to a service rep and see if they can  help you. I recently found a pair of shoes that are wonderful...it took me forever to find them! They are ADIDAS running/walking shoes for high arches.

For staying awake, DO NOT DO CAFFEINE OR SUGAR!!! It will give you a quick fix, but the sugars will make your body crash. Try fruits or maybe taking a few laps around the store (my DH used to work at a walgreens and didnt have to be at his register at all times, but all stores are different).

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Pregnancy ticker its a boy

Are you an Evolution Mommy??? Come join my group! click here!

Twizlr
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Quoting sweetiepea22:

i used to work at walgreens lol!!!!!!!!!!!! i would try the shoes for crews they are a little expensive... like 50 or so but they lasted me like 2 years before i got rid of them cause they looked bad from all the nast stuff lol and with a place like that overnight it is also important to keep your mind busy. the more you think about how tired you are the more itred you will be if that makes sense at all

Yeah that makes perfect sense.  Between 6 and 8 is the worst cause all my work is down and I am just standing around waiting for customers to check out.  The time really drags and as hard as I try not to I tend to do a lot of clock watching and whinning to myself(lol, pathedic I know).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)