Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe t-storm for my area... I think my mom is more worried than me

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

So there is a storm moving into my area, national weather service said it should be here around 7:30PM. It says to expect quarter size hail, lots of cloud to ground lightening and 60 MPH winds. My mom calls and she is like "Stay away from windows, call me if anything happens". She lives a couple hours away, but saw about the storm in the news.

But... I'm not really that worried. I live in Wyoming, the wind ALWAYS blows here. We've already had a couple storms tear shingles off of houses and the like. We had a hail storm just a couple days ago, and we've had lightening EVERY day for the last week. Should I be worried?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momma-flynn
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Can you send it here? It's been over a month since we've had any rain and my lawn looks like crap!

Lace2180
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM

We had one like that a few days ago, just keep an eye out ggod luck momma

Smartypants2008
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I wouldn't be overly worried but I would be keeping a close eye on the weather.  A storm like that went through here on Friday and caused a bunch of uprooted/twisted trees and home damage in my town.  It was only the area right in town though.  No more than a mile in each direction from downtown.  The way you described the storm is just like how the one that hit here was described.  I think there was a tornado. 

Smartypants2008
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Here is a video link to what things looked like here.

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/48687482.html

Jafra_mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Quoting Smartypants2008:

I wouldn't be overly worried but I would be keeping a close eye on the weather.  A storm like that went through here on Friday and caused a bunch of uprooted/twisted trees and home damage in my town.  It was only the area right in town though.  No more than a mile in each direction from downtown.  The way you described the storm is just like how the one that hit here was described.  I think there was a tornado. 

I have an irrational fear of tornado's. (I read the Wizard of Oz when i was little and it scarred me for life. Not even kidding, even though it is kind of funny.) We don't get a lot of tornados here, and we don't have a basement. And every room has windows besides the bathrooms. Awesome... now I'm freaking out a little bit.

But there are no trees remotely near my house. I think I might crack open a couple windows because I know if there is some funky pressure with the storm or a tornado it can cause windows to shatter and break. Ugh... I really shouldn't worry so much. Half the time the weather service is wrong. When I worked for the police department we'd get e-mails about severe weather but by the time it reached where we were the storm would be nothing compared to what the e-mail made it sound like.

RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

We had a couple tornados last night come very close to our town (1 w/in 10 miles), and it disappeared off the doppler. I would say not to stress out just be attentive to the news.

Jafra_mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Smartypants2008:

Well, it's supposed to be here in 15 minutes. There's some nasty looking storm clouds and some wind... but nothing else. Let's hope it stays that way! But that video freaked me out! lol

Smartypants2008
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting Smartypants2008:

Well, it's supposed to be here in 15 minutes. There's some nasty looking storm clouds and some wind... but nothing else. Let's hope it stays that way! But that video freaked me out! lol

Sorry!  It wasn't very weird for here though.  I live about 2 miles outside of downtown just outside the city limits.  NOTHING happened here.  It barely rained and there was only one gust of wind.  I went into town Saturday morning and there were power lines and trees down EVERYWHERE.  It was so weird.

Jafra_mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Smartypants2008:

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting Smartypants2008:

Sorry!  It wasn't very weird for here though.  I live about 2 miles outside of downtown just outside the city limits.  NOTHING happened here.  It barely rained and there was only one gust of wind.  I went into town Saturday morning and there were power lines and trees down EVERYWHERE.  It was so weird.

I grew up in Saginaw (technically the Township where it wasn't so bad... lol) but we had a few nasty storms like that. We had a TON of pine trees in our front yard to and while I lived there we had a few get struck by lightning, as well as our pool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)