Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ripping hair out!!!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM
  • 3 Replies

My 19th month old DD is pulling her hair out.  To the point that she has a rather large nearly bald patch on the backside of her head.  She has thin blond hair so it's very noticable.  She has always done this a bit, but in the last week it has become worse.  We have made no major changes in her life or routine aside from we did have a sitter two days last week that while she has sat with her before it hasn't been very often.  The only problem I see with this sitter is that she let's DD do pretty much whatever she wants.  I notice her pulling her hair out a few times, once when she was frustrated over not getting her way and twice when she got really excited about something (like her papaw giving her his phone to play with today).  Any ideas on how to stop this!?!?!?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I think if she's making bald spots, you may want to ask your ped....there's a condition where people pull out their hair.

DS pulls his hair, but not out of his head. He does it for comfort, usually when he's upset, or falling asleep, or even overly excited. It started with just the hair on his head, and now he also pulls his eyebrows.

The first thing I tried that made it a little better was when I saw him start to do it, I'd be very calm and tell him not to pull his hair, that hurts. Then I told him to "do nice.' Where ever he was going to pull, I made him just rub it gently instead of pulling the hair. This for whatever reason wasn't very appealing to him but I made him do it and he stopped doing it so much.

Also, I just keep him really busy. Now that it's nice outside, we go out more and he doesn't do it as much.

I'm sorry if this isn't really helpful.......but that's what we're doing and he def does it a lot  less now.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Hi summers1332

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

medical questions

Children's Health Issues
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM

My son used to pull his hair too! Sometimes he would pull it out. He was going bald on the side of his head. He only did it when he got mad and was throwing a fit. He used to do it around 8 months and he didn't stop til around 1 year. He's almost 21 months now and we have no problems with it anymore. When he would do it, I would just tell him not to and he would look at me like I was nuts. lol Now he just plays with his hair when he's tired!

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)