Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

the cheapest store to go grocery shopping? (other then walmart)?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM
  • 48 Replies

Where do you shop and what do you think is the cheapest place to go grocery shopping? I really am curious to know because I want to try some other stores. Super 1 is way too expensive so I always go to smith's grocery store. We don't have a super walmart yet or else I would happily go there. I just am tired of the store i go to and it doesnt have much of a selection. I rarely go to super 1 unless i see a really good sale. It seems like everything is alot more expensive there then at the store i go to. We have 2 grocery stores in our town and thats it. Super 1 and smiths. Smiths being the cheaper of the two. But there's a town about 15 miles away that has many many grocery stores. So what store do you think is cheapest for food type of groceries?? I wanna go grocery shopping but I want to go to a different store with more of a selection then what i'm currently going to...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

babies

by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Depends on where you live. In my area, there is a Giant store. I buy organic food and they have a brand called Natures Promise which is organic, but only slightly more expensive than non organic! So I only shop there!

mnmsmom2008
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM

We have a save-a-lot store and I can get a whole cart of groceries for less than a hundred bucks (same amount of stuff that would probably cost me almost 200 at Walmart). 

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Well lets see if you have a Save-a-lot near you they sell mostly generic brands but its all pretty cheap.  However around here the prices have recently sky rocketed to where I'm getting a better deal at Martin's Food store or Giant Eagle.  As long as one of those 2 have it on sale or I have coupons for it. Since Martin's And Giant both double coupons that are 99cents or less.  Plus the meat goes on buy one get one free all the time. 

Try looking at Neverpayretailagain.blogspot.com  she posts a couple of different grocery stores circular comparing i to coupons she has found and can tell you where she located them and what nah.  I thought I was a thrifty shopper but this lady is the coupon queen.

naughtyprincess
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I drive an hour and 30 minutes to go shopping.... I hit 3 stores... I go to the famers market and get fresh veggies and fruit, walmat, then I go to food city....( its a branch of the bashes stores.. They have more of the spanish labeld stuff... but its alot cheaper than frys or safeway...) We only have one grocery store in our town...They are way over priced....So I drive to get the better deals...

EnigmaMuse
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I just shop at whatever store is closest to me.  Or has what it is that I want at the time.

I don't really look around for the cheapest stores. To be quite honest.  For me to hunt down cheaper stores than the ones in my area, would take me driving out to the outskirts or subs of Portland.  Whatever savings I may find in price, would be spending in gas money.

Crystallynn
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I hear ALDI's is pretty cheap- I havent seen one in about 10+ years, but I did just find one about 2 hours away, I am considering making the trip..... 

the_littles2007
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I know you said you don't have a super WM, but that is pretty much where we shop.

I also shop (when it's just me) at Aldi's, Save-A-Lot, Krogers and Fas Check. Aldi's you have to bring your own bags, and most of there stuff is pretty good. Save-A-Lot is hit and miss. Kroger's is good as long as you have the Shoppers Card and watch for sales. And Fas Check (i think it's a local store in WV) I only get meat there as it's always on sale. But I don't get much else there, it's ways too expensive for what they are.

I am a quick food feeding, vaccinating, public school sending, overweight but non dieting, smoking, christian but non church going, mother of 2, step mom to 4, Obama voting, cafemom loving, french fry eating mom, who loves NO ONE! Have a great day!

sarah969
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM
AngelicaRenee
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

well if you are in washington, oregon, california, idaho where they have them, winco is the cheapest. i hate walmart. every food item we have bought there has been bad. even the canned/boxed stuff. and the other items we buy there fall apart quickly. we try to avoid shopping there at all costs.

x_sabine_x
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Well in my town there are four discount grocery stores- Bellingham Grocery Outlet, Sunshine Liquidators, Deals Only, and Big Lots.

Most of those are probably local to my area, but if you can find discount grocery stores, then go to them!! They have way cheaper canned goods, dried foods (like pasta), cheaper milk, eggs, juice, even meat. Usually the meat will have an expiration date that is coming up pretty soon, but it's so much cheaper, you can just put it in your freezer. I save soooo much money this way. I have even seen fresh fruit and veggies at some dollar stores in my area too!

-Ellen-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN