Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all nurses...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

i am getting ready to go back to scool to become a RN.i was wondering if yall wouldnt mind telling me how much your starting pay was, what experience you had going in, where you work(ie. dr.office, hospital, retirement home,ect.) , how long it took you to get your degree(and if you have a assoc or bsn) and any advice about getting through nursing school. i have two kids and currently work at a hospital(worked as a tech for the orthopedic floor for 3 years and switched to a more "flexable" desk job about 2 years ago) and am thinking of going down to part time at work and taking out loans to "live" off of while i go back to school full time.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mitch576
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:44 AM

this is a hard post to answer mom...even for the nurses.

if you work in the northeast... you make way more than you would in the south.

the degree type makes a big difference. in the north east... an associates will only earn you between 50- to 70 grand a year.

go for the bachelors...and you will bring in at least, 90-110...and that is not pulling over time.

a floor supervisor makes more than a charge nurse.  both could have the same degree... but the "job title" makes a big difference too.

my mother is a high tech pediatric nurse. she has a master's in nursing sciences....a bachelor's in psych.

she has been a r.n. for about 20 years now. she makes well over 150 grand a year. we live in the north east.

that's good money in the north east.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

ljsmamma07
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:49 AM

i live in ohio..so that is kinda nice to hear. and i will be getting my bsn. thanks for the info!!

when i worked on ortho we didnt have floor supervisors, just charge nurses, then the nurse manager.

Quoting mitch576:

the degree type makes a big difference. in the north east... an associates will only earn you between 50- to 70 grand a year.

go for the bachelors...and you will bring in at least, 90-110...and that is not pulling over time.

a floor supervisor makes more than a charge nurse.  both could have the same degree... but the "job title" makes a big difference too.

my mother is a high tech pediatric nurse. she has a master's in nursing sciences....a bachelor's in psych.

she has been a r.n. for about 20 years now. she makes well over 150 grand a year. we live in the north east.

VaNavyMom2b2009
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM

And, where again did you find in the south you cant make squat?

Quoting mitch576:

mitch576
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:00 AM

don't live in a box you know... my mom has worked outside of my state. she is licensed in several so she could work for the traveling nurse. she made far less in the south... i never said they made "squat" it is also cheaper to live in the south... so i am sure it equals out.

they make far more out in places like california...where the cost of living is much higher. my point was... it varies. i said nothing about "not making squat"

Quoting VaNavyMom2b2009:

And, where again did you find in the south you cant make squat?

Quoting mitch576:

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

jbhaleyrn
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:20 AM
I work at a small community hospital on a surgical floor. I started out in 2002 at about $20/hr working full time. I now work stand-by (about 8-12 hrs/week) and I make close to $30/hr now. I have my ASN, it took me about 3 years with pre-reqs. I really don't have any advice about going to school with children at home. I wasn't even married when I went to nursing school. But I did work full-time at a peds office during my first year. I had to cut way back on my work hours in my second year, though. My dad saved a portion of every paycheck I got while I was in highschool and I pretty much blew through that during nursing school. And my husband (my boyfriend back then) really supported me the most during school. I went to school in the evenings/weekends and there were many single moms in my class and they were able to get through the program with no problems, so it's completely doable!! Just try to have a good support system in place before you start because nursing school doesn't leave room for much else. Good luck!!
Septpreggo
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:21 AM

it does make a diff where u live my sister is an rn as are all my aunts on my mothers side , i live in a smaller town in mass but my sister works at a hospital in boston, if she worked in her hometown but still in mass she would make considerably less than she does in boston, ahes had offers from all over the country but she makes more were she is, but no matter what state your in if ur in a small community hospital ur gonna make less than in a larger city hospital

chels210
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Cardiac floor, Southern Illinois, started at $19 something an hour

Momma to Braeden

holjes262
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I have been a nurse for 2 years and live in Ohio. I have an associates degree and currently work at a small hospital located about 1 hr west from Columbus. Starting pay here is $21.85/hr with no nursing experience. This goes up to $22.51 in December. This does not include shift differential. I had an interview at Grant Medical Center in downtown Columbus last week and was quoted $23.91/hr for 2 years nursing experience. At both hospitals (the one I work at now and Grant) the pay is non-negotiable. Shift diff differs for each facility. At my current hospital it is 10% of your base hourly pay. At Grant it is $4.95. Mycurrent hospital is unionized, so pay raises are set in stone.

It took me 2 years to get my degree. I did not have to wait on a list to get it. I had previous college experience, so I think that helped. I started school with  a 5 month old. It was very difficult. There were many days that I had so much to do that I missed out on things with him. I was very lucky that my parents allowed me to live with them and they paid my bills. They knew that this was my only opportunity to make it. I had financial aid that paid for every single bit of school, including books and a PDA that was required for the course. When I got my nursing job, I had 2 years of experience working as a STNA (1.5 yrs in a nursing home and 6 months in a hospital).

No doubt it will be very difficult. Just remind yourself that in the end all of your sacrifices will pay off and your kids will love that you can take them on that Disney cruise.

ljsmamma07
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM

i actually work for ohio health! grant is one of my sister hospitals. its a great place. my mom worked there for almost 20 years before moving over to riverside. where did you go for your degree?? im going to OU

Quoting holjes262:

I have been a nurse for 2 years and live in Ohio. I have an associates degree and currently work at a small hospital located about 1 hr west from Columbus. Starting pay here is $21.85/hr with no nursing experience. This goes up to $22.51 in December. This does not include shift differential. I had an interview at Grant Medical Center in downtown Columbus last week and was quoted $23.91/hr for 2 years nursing experience. At both hospitals (the one I work at now and Grant) the pay is non-negotiable. Shift diff differs for each facility. At my current hospital it is 10% of your base hourly pay. At Grant it is $4.95. Mycurrent hospital is unionized, so pay raises are set in stone.

It took me 2 years to get my degree. I did not have to wait on a list to get it. I had previous college experience, so I think that helped. I started school with  a 5 month old. It was very difficult. There were many days that I had so much to do that I missed out on things with him. I was very lucky that my parents allowed me to live with them and they paid my bills. They knew that this was my only opportunity to make it. I had financial aid that paid for every single bit of school, including books and a PDA that was required for the course. When I got my nursing job, I had 2 years of experience working as a STNA (1.5 yrs in a nursing home and 6 months in a hospital).

No doubt it will be very difficult. Just remind yourself that in the end all of your sacrifices will pay off and your kids will love that you can take them on that Disney cruise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)