Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4th of July was Scary!!!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

Our local lake does an awesome fireworks display over the lake every year! Some friends of ours has a boat and asked if we wanted to spend the afternoon with them and two other families on the lake and then watch the fireworks that night while on the boat.

The afternoon started off great. I only had two of my children with me (my 16 year old and my 3 year old) who wear thier life jackets at all times. We boated over to a shallow spot to let everyone swim. As we were leaving my husband stated that he felt a bump under his feet but thought it might have been from us hitting some waves.

We get in the middle of the lake when the "Captain" tells us that he thinks the boat is taking on water. I don't panic at first because I don't want to freak the kids out. (Now you have to understand that my secret worst fear as a parent has always involved water and my kids). The other families are trying to stay calm also. I put my life jacket on and hold on to my 3 year old.

The captain starts slowly towards land trying to get us there safely. I noticed the water starts coming into the boat and the bottom of the floor is almost level with the water outside. I begin to pray to God at this point. Then the front of the boat starts going UNDER the water!

People let me tell you, as a parent, you go straight into "survival mode" when it comes to your children. My 16 year old was trying to help the other families with thier kids while my husband was telling me to get to the back of the boat. I grabbed my 3 year old and got to the back.

A passing boat saw what was happening and got to us as fast as they could. We were able to get the women and kids onto the passing boat. I handed my son off as fast as I could but I was shaking so bad that I could barely move. I got onto the boat but my husband and the other guys had to stay on the sinking boat because there was no room left in the passing boat. I hated leaving my husband and 16 year old behind but another boat was able to get to them.

We all got to dry land safely. I immediately thanked God as we stood there with the fireworks going off in the background.

Now on a funny note... During the incident I find myself grabbing my cell phone and shoving it into my life jacket. I don't why I did this, it would have gotten wet no matter what. Someone else shoved thier camera into thier jacket.

I over heard my 16 year old tell his grandmother that this was the craziest 4th of July ever. This was an adventure for him while it was my worst nightmare come true.

This is one 4th of July I will never forget! Please someone tell me that you have a scarier or crazier story then mine! I would love to hear it!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Wow...I'm glad everyone is ok.  

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM
Our 4th was totaly uneventful. We just went to our neigbors and spent the day in the pool. I am sorry to hear what happened yesterday, but am also so glad to hear that you are all safe. I cant imagine how scared you had to of been.
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM

How frightening! I'm glad everything turned out ok. out my way, in nearby Merrillville, IN, after a fireworks show a pedestrian bridge collapsed. people were walking over the bridge after the fireworks show when it happened. I think the report said like 26 ppl went into the water below. the report says everyone made it out, no fatalities, no missing ppl reported yet but of course there were injuries but nothing too serious.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Our 4th of July this year was pretty uneventful besides the neighbors across the street blowing off 1/2 sticks of dynamite and scaring the crap out of all of us standing in our front yard because we didn't know it was coming. LOL But when I was little my entire family always went out on the boat for the day and then go watch the fireworks (my dad, uncle, and grandpa all had boats so we would all go out together with all 3 of the boats). Well one year we tied all the boats together like we always didand all of us kids jumped off the boats like we always did to go swimming. It was pretty dark out and we were waiting for the fireworks to start and we look over and see my little sister (at the time she was probably 7 or 8) totally freaking out and on my cousins back but couldn't see my cousin. So my dad had to jump in and save them. I guess what happened was that they were walking along in the water (we were in very shallow water) and there was a drop off and my sister panicked and grabbed ahold of my cousins back and pushed her under the water. Luckily my dad is a great swimmer and took safety courses for the boat and water and knew what to do and saved both of them. I know situations like this are scary but thankfully you guys were alright. :)

baby boy

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Oh honey, that is terrifying. I am so glad that you all are okay. I have no stories that are that scary, at least not that have anything to do with boats or the 4th.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Wow that is scary!

Well after coming home from a great day at the water park, i couldnt help but notice that my neighbors were having a party, there were beer cans all over the lawn and drive way, then one of the drunk guys has the nerve to come into my backyard to take a piss! I was so mad, a few of the sober ones came over to apologise , but still that was just nasty and disrespectful, then  they blasted their music until 3 am, i wasnt that mad about that, but then I look out  my window and see two of them engaging in sexual activities in their backyard, I was so shocked,and disgusted  I just went to bed after that, all this craziness on my birthday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)