Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a second baby shower appropriate?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM
  • 45 Replies

My daughter isn't even two years old and I'm expecting my second daughter Nov 4.  Is it appropriate to have a second baby shower for this new baby or is it better to have welcoming home baby party?  I want to do something but I don't want people to think I'm greedy.  HELP!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeeniegurl03
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I think the welcoming home party sounds good. Do it like a couple weeks after she is born.

silverspun
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM

My opinion..just have a welcome home aprty for the baby.  If there were more time in between them I'd say have the second shower or have the second shower if you were having a boy and not another girl.   

kk_bella
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I had a welcoming party and no one came. forget that.

A shower is not for gifts, it's to celebrate the life of a new baby. If you're uncomfortable with asking for gifts, then don't. I think a second, third or fourth shower is entirely appropriate.

Like to argue? Follow me to

The Debate Team

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I don't think you should ever "throw" yourself a baby shower...if someone else does it that's fine...but it would be tacky to have your own.

rowansmum
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM

My mom is throwing a second baby shower.  My oldest is a year and a half and my youngest is a week and a day.  Although we didn't know the sex until we had him.  You could always have a diaper party instead.  Or a BBQ as a welcome baby that way it's less pressure on yourself and others.  Every new baby deserves a celebration tho!

Leener3
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I have no idea what is right and what is wrong. My kids are 2 years and 2 weeks apart. My mother told me it was not appropriate to have a second shower because they were so close. As it turns out I went into pre-term labor and was on best rest for nearly 3 months. My friends decided to throw me a baby shower (they held it in my bedroom!) to cheer me up. (it did) My mom came happily and as far as I know, no one said a word about it.

skinnyminnie121

I agree completely.

Quoting kk_bella:

I had a welcoming party and no one came. forget that.

A shower is not for gifts, it's to celebrate the life of a new baby. If you're uncomfortable with asking for gifts, then don't. I think a second, third or fourth shower is entirely appropriate.

MackiesMom07

I'm not sure. Here's a bump. I always heard you don't have another baby shower if they're close together being the same sex.

jennlynn121079
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

My mother threw me a baby shower for my second child!!!

kerrirois
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

My friends threw one for me, my 2 boys are 18 months apart.

toddler boybaby boyamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)