Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Question (boys)

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

How old were your boys when you started potty training them. My son is 20 months old and is showing all the signs that he's ready to start potty training, but I can't help but wonder if it's still too early. What do you guys think? Should I start him?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
browneyessetfre
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I have 3 boys.  Mine were late trainers. I started trying with my first when he was about your son's age.  I was very unsuccessful.  It took 2 years of trying.  He was almost 4.  So with my second son, I did try on and off but wasn't successful until he saw me bring his baby brother home from the hospital and he realized babies wear diapers, so he potty trained in a few days.  My youngest, I didn't really try until he was 2 1/2 or so.  He was opposed to underwear until then.  One day, I was at Walmart, he picked out underwear, potty trained in 1 day.  Never had an accident, not even at night.  My older 2 however were very deep sleepers and didn't make it through the night until they were about 7. 

Just try it, if it becomes stressful for him or for you and it becomes a negative experience, give it up for awhile and try again fresh in a few months.  When they are ready, it will happen relatively easily and low stress for him and you. Changing diapers is not fun but changing "big boy" accident clothes especially when you are out is even less fun for you and for him. 

Amy

americanpeso
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, we may try for a little while and see how it goes.

aprildestiny
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Hi!

My son is 17 months old, BUT, I started showing him to go potty when he wakes up 1st thing in the morning.....but this is as far as it goes, for now. He understands that he needs to potty in the bathroom in the morning, so for now I think that is good. I would still like to potty train him soon as well...diapers are crazy in price!

I know this isn't much help, but I learned that if you get them comfortable with the whole bathroom environment, they don't freak out. My little man likes flushing the toilet, so that has helped.  Not sure where to go from here though!

Thanks!

Jessicatoddler boy

Teetlebug
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My son trained around 2, but my daughter was much younger. I just put a training chair in the bathroom, and everytime we walked in there I would talk about it. One day, she just asked to go potty. Ian, however, used to take a book and liked to sit there looking at it. He was imitating daddy. So, I put the seat that attaches to the regular toilet. He loved to be just like daddy, and was easy to potty train after that.

hepburnkids
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I would get him a really cool potty set. I would put him on before bed, going down for a nap and before bath time. Make a very big deal when he does some thing and when he does not. Make it  fun, but don't be upset if it does not work. I have worked with a lot of kiddos and must of the boys started the potty thing 2 months before they turned 3.  Good lock mama.

americanpeso
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

PURPLEMOM1995
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

We started our son when he was 19 months old and now he's 26 months and he's doing well but i do believe they all have there own time for when they are ready so if he is showing signs i would give it a try. Good Luckhugs

mommy03021207
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM

my son is 19 months old and is fully potty trained, he showed interest so we followed through it. he likes to go and say "bye" when we flush the potty. if he's showing interest i would go ahead and start him 

thomamomma76
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I began potty training all of our children a few months after their first birthday. They were all trained by 18 months of age.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM

My Ds is almost 2.5yrs. We started potty training him a few weeks ago and he's doing great.

If you think your little guy is ready, I don't see the harm in trying. If it doesn't work out, you can always stop and try again in a few months.

We did it by leaving DS naked from the waist down. Within like 3 or 4 days he was pretty much potty trained. The first 2 days were really hard, but after that it go so much better!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)