Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ATEENTION FLORIDA MOMS!!! Need your opinions!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

My hubby and I (and our two kids ages 3 and 4) are working on relocating to Florida from New Hampshire and we're sort of going into this blind.  We have a close friend who lives in FL currently who has been very helpful with her opinions of the state and areas of where to live and work and where not to live and work.  We are planning on moving in April, when our lease is up, so we have plenty of time to plan and research.  I'd love your opinions of where you live, work, and whether or not you love it, hate it, what you could/would do different if you had the chance, what you would recommend to a friend and all that jazz.  Thanks in advance!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamamissy23
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I live right outside of Jacksonville, Fl I actually live in Middleburg. I like it out here...its quiet. I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, fl...I miss it there. But homes can be very expensive there right now. I was stationed in Pensacola and HATED it!!! stay out of the panhandle

gabe11-14
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I live in Orlando, I don't care for it much. Houses are decent enough price wise but there are not much jobs this way. I grew up in St. Petersburg and it's not much better.

airforewifenmom
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I like the panhandle, nice clear water beaches......

Hybrid
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I have lived all over the state of Florida.

Both places where I took up the longest residence aren't places I'd recommend to live.

I lived in Daytona Beach (beach side) for six years! It isn't the best area for children, but if you're looking for around the Beach there is Sam Sula or Port Orange. They're both nice, well kept and clean areas. They're not too far from the beach and not too far from Orlando. (Disney)

I spent the last six years (until this past January) in Pensacola. (the panhandle) There is a lot to do, but the city Limits of Pensacola are of poor quality. The people that is. You have the beaches (both pensacola beach and perdido key) The navy base that offers a lot of fun, free things. (Naval Air Museum, The NAS Lighthouse (also known to be the most haunted in the US) It isn't far from Biloxi Mississippi if you like gambling, it's just over two hours from New Orleans which has alot to do. If you were to look in the Pan Handle there is Destin (which is lovely- but a tourist trap) and Panama City.

What kind of work are your husband and you in?

HEAVENANDUS7
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM

We live in Citrus County, Awesome Schools, all Rated a A+ Except for one high School, Lecanto High, But all others are amazing, We have wild Life Parks, Springs to swim in......and we have a Vacant House Right Next to Us, and I have 6 children you Children can Become Friends with....LOL

jenfraker
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I live in Polk County, Winter Haven to be exact.  We like it here because we are between Tampa and Orlando.  Most of my friends live in Lakeland and that seems to be a nice area to raise a family. 

Our favorite beach here is Pass-A-Grille (near St Pete beach) and it's about 1 1/2 hour drive from WH.  We are about 45 mins from Disney.

I would recommend this area.  We've lived here 8 years.

armywife54
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I grew up in South Florida in Coral Springs about an hour north of Miami, I liked it a lot but in some areas around there, is a little up-tight. A lot of road rage driving and very busy along I-95 if you have to commute that way( if you end up having to, I would recommend the Turnpike). It is also not a very cheap area to live in, but there are alot of jobs considering the amount of people that live there. My friend lives on the West coast around Sarasota and really likes it, it's a small town named Englewood Beach. I loved growing up in South Florida. A lot to do, and the beach was only a 10 minute drive too. Great school and universities around as well!

Alishia655
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I live in Yakima, Washington. I HATE IT  If the heat does not kill you, the drug attics and the gang bangers will. (not all of yakima is like this) But the houses are decently priced, the jobs pay well (i think min wage is 8 something)  but i was born and raised here and the plant life is almost non existant and surrounded by barren hills

gilbertgrl627
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Well, I grew up in Florida, but I don't live there now (moved to Minnesota 3 years ago). I grew up in South Florida, Jupiter/Tequesta to be exact. I think the further south you go, the more expensive it is. I moved out when I was 19, and moved to Daytona Beach. Pretty nice, but very crowded (especially during events). The west coast has the best beaches, I think. Try to move to a place in northern Florida (where it actually gets cooler in the winter (it used to get to the 40s in Daytona).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)