Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice on backpacks for the new school yr coming up..*I know its early but I like to be ahead lol*

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

Alright I have 2 dd's going to school this yr and one will be in KG and the other is going to 1st grade..I am wanting to get them a good tough backpack that will last them ALL yr and some! I got my oldest dd's backpack from Wal-Mart last yr and it didn't even last her all yr I was so mad but I kinda knew it was going to happen cause hey..its from Wal-Mart and I spent 10 bucks on the thing.. I was online looking at JanSport backpacks and they are really cute I was wondering if there were other mama's out there that use this company for backpacks and are they any good as far as lasting the whole yr and beyond?? Also since they are so young and my 5 yr old is so skinny and petite what size do you think they would need...UGH I just feel so illiterate when it comes to this stuff but I just want them to be comfortable and I don't want the backpack to fall apart in the middle of the yr.. I REALLY don't wanna spend over 50 bucks on ONE back pack if I don't have to.. I saw some on there and they are 23 something right at the moment so I still be keeping it under 50 for both anyways.. Any advice would be so helpful!! Thnx so much ladies! =)

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08

Got Mamas Milk Blinkie
I Love My LCPL BlinkieProud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymom_0307
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

My DH and I each have a Jansport that we used in high school...LOL.  Mine is purple and his is black.  When we moved in together we laughed because they are the exact same backpack, just different color.  I graduated in '97 and he graduated in '98.  My girls use them now when they go camping.

2brats1chkymnky
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I still have a backpack that was made by "quest". My aunt bought it from the college store for me when I was 14. I am now almost 27yrs old. My s/o still uses this back pack daily to take snacks/drinks to work and there is no damage to it what-so-ever. I also used the back pack all through junior high/high school.

Jan sport also make durable backpacks. Both brands of backpacks are pricey but well worth it.GL

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM

if you have the money  I would suggest jansport as a good investment.   Some stores even sell them so you can have the girls try them on.  I have seen alot of sales for school supplies already so you arent that early.

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Yah were on a pretty tight budget but I wanna get them something that's going to last cause I swear my girls should have been born boys lol w/ the way they are so rough w/ everything!! So I just wanted to spend the $$ on something that's going to last them. If I went and got them NOW then I would still keep the price under 50 bucks.. they have free shipping on orders over 35 dollars and I would be paying like  47.80 just shy of 50 so that was my goal lol. I think that is a great deal being that it's a JanSport backpack. They come w/ a lifetime guarantee as well so I think I may do it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

if you have the money  I would suggest jansport as a good investment.   Some stores even sell them so you can have the girls try them on.  I have seen alot of sales for school supplies already so you arent that early.

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08

Got Mamas Milk Blinkie

Mommy2_two
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I have a Jansport that I have had for 7 years (I used it for my DD's diaper bag after her first diaper bag couldn't hack it). It is still in great shape. Luckily I got my DD's backpack at Target and it is still in great shape. Her lunch box on the other hand is SHOT!

ashmac03
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM

My dd's both have jansports.  They are going into 2nd and 4th grade.  They are great!  They are really sturdy and have tons of cute colors and patterns to chose from.  My youngest got her with wheels and my oldest got hers without.  

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Lol I know what you mean.. my oldest dd's lunch box is the same way.. that thing looks like its been ran over 20 times and some. She prefers to buy lunch at school anyways so I send $ with her each week. But this coming yr my 5 yr old is going and she wants me to pack her lunch cause she is a VERY picky eater and she wants mom to make her lunch she says she doesn't wanna eat yucky school food lol.. So I was looking for a lunch box as well but I don't see one on here UGH so I'm going to go on like LandsEnd.com or something and look for a cute one for her. I'm not getting them backpacks or lunch boxes from Wal-mart anymore cause they just fall apart too fast and I actually think I spend MORE buying about 2 or 3 during the school yr as appose to getting them a nice priced one in the beginning..

Quoting Mommy2_two:

I have a Jansport that I have had for 7 years (I used it for my DD's diaper bag after her first diaper bag couldn't hack it). It is still in great shape. Luckily I got my DD's backpack at Target and it is still in great shape. Her lunch box on the other hand is SHOT!

Got Mamas Milk Blinkie

Mover
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Jansport is a great backpack and will definitely last the whole year.  I also found the backpacks sold by Disney website are great too.  You can have their names embroidered on it too.  My dd still has her Disney back pack from kindergarten and it is still in good condition.  She is 10 years old now.

CathyMcN
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I bought one at Eddie Bauer in 1992 (college), and it's still in great shape!  I also have a Jansport one that I had in high school...it was just too small for all of the books I had to carry around, but it's in great shape too!

Ivayla
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM

http://www.landsend.com/ix/school-uniforms/School-Uniforms/Backpacks-Gear/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=679~1135&visible=1~2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&tab=13&cm_re=D-8-5

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)