Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craigslist question...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM
  • 12 Replies we are moving next month and are putting our house up for rent.  I posted an Ad on craigslist.  Well, I had someone email me back saying that they are moving here from another state and that they have 6 kids (in a 3 br house..yikes) and they are willing to do our 2 year lease..blah blah..

Anyway...especially with this not being someone local, how do you know if they are scamming me or not??  Lemme go find the email they sent so you can see...

Hello there
My name is tayrra i am going to be moving my family and i at the end of august to your area from washington state, i was offered a good job out there and have taken it. We are looking for a house and everyone has been shy on renting to someone coming from out of state. I get stressed about not having a house before we get there, my husband will be a stay at home and is really good at taking care of a house. Please if you could email me back that would be great i have not rented but am very trust worthy. We have had some bad luck here being a countrywide home owner, my family is out there and i really want to be closer.
I will be waiting on pins and needles to hear from you.

Its me again tayrra
I forgot to write that we are willing to do the whole two years and send you the deposit in the middle of this month to hold the house, i do have children three boys and three girls that are well behaved and we have never had any problems with the age ranges are from 15 down to 9 months. alot of people don't like the idea of this many children but like i said in the previous email i will be making enough money for my husband to be at home with them. I have two cats but one will only be an outside cat. I really love the picture of the house and hope to hear from you soon

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I wouldnt do it 6 kids in a 3 bedroom house would completly scare me away. Also the hole out of state thing aswell

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM

i wouldn't feel comfortable with it.  typically, when someone sends an email with that much extra info (for example, talking about her great job and that she'll make enough for her husband to stay home), it's not a good sign.  out-of-state isn't a good sign.  and even if it's legit, would you want a family that large with pets renting your house?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I have posted on craigslist....but only items for sale....not renting property....i have had some good luck with my buyers....and I also deal with locals....they dont "flake' on me.....I hate when out of towners ask me to hold items and never now i put first come first serve.....since your dealing with property you might need to be more careful with out of towners.....maybe ask to meet him B4 the move to iron out details but meet in a public place.....I dont know how large your asking for deposit but asking for cash might be on the safe side too....good luck =) 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM

They're willing to send a deposit...but, with 6 kids and 2 cats, I would want several references....and, if I were planning to ever live in that house again, I would worry about that many kids (no matter how well behaved they are, kids are rough) and I would not allow can check her credit history, reference her current the internet for your rights and what precautions you should be taking...

My ex husband an I were landlords for a few's not easy! Cover YOUR butt!!!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I would probably do a credit check on her, get her to fax you an application with a copy of her driver's licence. If she sends you money, and it goes through, why not?

I had a friend living out of state, she had 6 kids coming with her. Not all hers, 2 were her brother's children that she takes care of. She found a house before she got here by doing the things I mentioned above.

Just don't give her keys or anything until you actually meet her in person.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I have personally delt with Craigslist on a number of things. Renting a house is not one of them. However my husband and I were almost scammed on a couple of vehicles and this does not seem to be the norm e-mail's that we received. However the number of people wanting to move into your house is alot. So that is a personal decision that you will need to decide. I would not personally be able to rent a house to someone that I have not personally met. 

If she is moving for work then I am sure that she would be making a couple of trips for business. Just ask her if you could meet up with her in person to discuss a few things. Or you could always ask for a background check! Go with your gut....  

by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I also think htat she has added too much extra info. It doesn't seem legit to me. Even if it was when people go out of there way to say there husband is good at taking care of the house and their children are well behaved usually means they aren't. Why would she say all of that before being asked? Suspicious.

ETA: I have rented out a house on craigslist. As has my mom. I've never seen a reply like that.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Nowadays, it's really hard to know who's trustworthy and who's not, especially when you can't see them face to face.  I would first request a phone conversation so you can attempt to get a feel for how they act. 

Also, if you decide to go ahead, and they send a deposit, make sure they only send the amount necessary, and DO NOT spend a penny of that money until the check clears!  I once had someone attempt the Nigerian Money scam thing on me, not with a house, but with babysitting that I was offering.  Told me they were out of state, but moving here soon and would send money up front, yada yada yada... until they sent me a cashiers check for $4000 and asked me to send back the difference right away.  (tried to say a customer owed money and would instead send it to me and i could keep my part and send the rest to her).  I had read about the scam before that, so I immediately contacted the police and brought the check to the bank to see what they thought... they had seen the same exact check many times and wouldn't cash it even if I had thought it was real.

Not to mention, the police informed me that once you spend that money and then the check doesn't clear... YOU become legally responsible for paying it back, as YOU are the one who technically cashed the bad check.  Keep in mind there are many trustworthy people out there, but just be careful and double check everything this woman says or sends to you.  ;)

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM

In most states it is illegal to have more than 2 people per bedroom including children. Also children over 5 yrs old of the opposite sex can not share a room. So even if you did trust her and do the credit check and everything legally you could not rent to her. I also thinks craigslist is kind if sketchy anyway I would never post my home for rent on it. Best bet is to go through a company, you're going to have to pay for services but it's safer and will offer you peace of mind.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I agree w/ the PP about doing a credit check and such. As for the deposit. I would NOT accept a check. Only cash (not sent thru the mail), a cashiers check (straight from the bank) or Postal Money orders (they might have to get multiple ones). Ask about her "new" job, if it's local you should be able to check it out, KWIM?

Good Luck, I'm currently a landlord and I hate it about 90% of the time LOL.

I am a quick food feeding, vaccinating, public school sending, overweight but non dieting, smoking, christian but non church going, mother of 2, step mom to 4, Obama voting, cafemom loving, french fry eating mom, who loves NO ONE! Have a great day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)