Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hmmm, I think I should say something...............

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

There is a family down the street from us, I think she has 4 daughters and a son, never really paid attention, I know that my daughter used to play w/2 of her daughters last summer, anyway, she homeschools, she is the kind of person that she will speak to you IF she feels like it but everyone is beneath her, or maybe just me, she is holier then thou and for whatever reason her 2 girls just stopped being allowed to play with my daughter....anywho....btw, my daughter is 8, we've been here for a year now and thru school she has met other girls to play with one street down from us....well she has started playing with these 2 gurls again, which is fine, I have no problems with that....but last night my daughter says to me "mommie, are we REAL Christians"?  I said "yes, we are.  Why"??  {i just gave my life to Christ in April so yes, I am new to the faith} she says " ___ and ___ said that we are not real christians because I don't know what the BIBLE says".....I said okay, so why does that make you NOT a real Christian??  She didn't know, that's why she was asking me.  I felt horrible that they would say something like that to her, one of the gurls is a few years older then she is so its not like this gurl didn't know what she was saying to my daughter....my daughter goes to church with us and she just loves it, she loves to learn things about GOD, and no, she doesn't know the Bible but when she has questions I try to answer them for her, I have read the first half of the Bible, my husband knows it all...so we answer any questions she or our other 2 have.

I'm kinda upset about what they said to her.  I just told her to forget what they said, they don't know what goes on in our house or what we know or don't know.  So it doesn't matter.  I think I will let this go for now but if anymore comments are made to her like that I am going to have to go say something to their mother. 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dreamerinluv
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I hate it when PPL use their religion for evil....not good.....if this "Holier than thou mom" was a true christian she wouldnt teach her DD's to reject or make fun of someone who is not of their same religion (or in your case not knowledgeable enough )....so sorry your DD had  to be treated that way =( 

armywife54
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I agree, it's not fair to your daughter to worry about things like that.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM

unfortunately about 3/4 of Christians are EXTREMELY judgemental.  And if you dont fit into their "cookie cutter" view of christianity, then you aren't a REAL Christian.  its very sad actually.  i see it a lot even here on CM.  and people teach their children what they beieve, so even if you do say something to their mother, she is probably the root of the problem.  good luck

momcat437
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Some people just like to make themselves look better by hurting others--unfortunately, she's teaching her kids to do the same thing!  And we know that that's not Christian behavior at all...yup, if it continues, I'd have a talk with their mom... 

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

shemarty
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Well, sorry that u feel that way.

I think their mother or whoever is responsible as to who they kids are allowed to play with must have told them to find out if they are real christians if not that maybe they shouldn't hang out with them.  That aside, are we christians not suppose to give knowledge to those who want and need it.

CraZedSAHMof3
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I seriously do believe, that with the mother, that she doesn't really care for the fact that we are a mixed couple.  You know how some ppl are about that...which is actually kind of funny because her husband is oriental.  Wouldn't that make them a mixed couple??  I think it is just me tho, I remember one night her and a few other ladies were standing next door to my house talking and I walked up and said HEY and they all just kind of looked at me like...wth..and just kept talkin amongst themselves {i knew all the ladies out there but they are all just like her....}.  She makes comments all the time about "maybe i should homeschool my children"....stuff like that...but to come right out and say something to an 8 yr old about not knowing the bible....hhhmmm, i don't think i know of an 8 yr old that does know the whole bible...well apparently her children do....lol, mine don't....they will in time, I'm just sad cuz my daughter doesn't see when someone is putting her down or whatever....thats what bothers me....those gurls are old enough to know better then that....why would that discussion even come up I wonder?????

4kidz916
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Well first let me say good for you that you are teaching your kids the Bible.  Second, the other family is the one that's wrong.  Maybe a talk with the mom will work, maybe not.  Good luck to you.

jillbailey26

First off, they're kids.  Kids say mean things.  I would just let it roll off your back and not worry about it.  Also there are many Christians that don't even believe in the bible.  I'm not one of them and you might not be either, but they're out there.  I wouldn't worry about what another family says.  You are new to your faith and from what I can tell, you're doing excellent. 

If you would like to form a story-time at home with your daughter, they do sell children's bibles.  They explain the stories in the bible in a more kid-friendly manner.  We have one and read it to our older 2 every night.  Not to say that you NEED to, it's just a suggestion, in case you want to.

~Jill~

mamivon2

When people ask me if I am a real Christian or tell me I am not. I just say. I might not be a real christian but I am a REAL me.

jillbailey26

Yes, that's true.  Our Pastor will even tell you this.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

unfortunately about 3/4 of Christians are EXTREMELY judgemental.  And if you dont fit into their "cookie cutter" view of christianity, then you aren't a REAL Christian.  its very sad actually.  i see it a lot even here on CM.  and people teach their children what they beieve, so even if you do say something to their mother, she is probably the root of the problem.  good luck

~Jill~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)