Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am ticked off at this law in my town in regards to cats......cursing

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am not one that tolerates animal cruelty at all. Hell, I will not kill anything, not even a spider or ant in my house. I just saved a hurt birdie in the middle of the road today. Well, in my town I found out yesterday that there is no law against killing cats for whatever reason. It's not considered animal cruelty. If you kill a dog or whatever, it's considered AC. If you starve a cat it's AC, but if you shoot one in your yard or whatever, either b/c you do not like them or their messing up your yard, you cannot get in trouble. I was pissed of when I heard this. It's not right. I guess they are considered a nuisanceb/c they breed like crazy, but that can be blamed on other things that I will not get into. I'm not some crazy cat lady LOL, but my theory is, everything living and breathing deserve life. Hence, why I cannot kill that ugly spider or ant I may see in my house occasionally.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvmyparties
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Check your state law. it supersedes city law.

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I agree with you 100%. I have 5 cats. ( We also have 5 dogs, and 4 bunnies and all my fosters in and out for the rescue I work for.)They are all spayed or neutered, microchipped and KEPT INDOORS. Cats and Dogs are domestic animals , and they are domestic NOT by their choice, we humans took it upon ourselves to make them animal companions. If you choose to keep them , then they should be kept IN THE HOUSE with the family , loved and given appropriate care. If you cant do that , then simply DONT GET A PET. Anyone who shoots , poisons, injures or kills other peoples animals because they bark , pee, or get into their yards etc should be punished, and so should any negligent pet owner who repeatedly allows their animals to wander loose , or who dont give them basic care, or who just leave them to fend for themselves.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM

People tend to let their cats roam free. They don't do that with dogs. (At least not around here.) While I don't think they should shoot them, I do think there should be much more strict punishments for people who let their cats roam free. We used to keep a Super Soaker on our deck table because our neighbors cats would come in our yard and stalk our bird feeders. I should be able to enjoy the birds and squirrels and such without worrying about causing a blood bath in my back yard, lol.

Hybrid
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I live in the deep country and nearly every single one of my neighbors  has chickens/roosters and coops. They use the chickens for eggs, meat and weed eaters. Cats especially (there are a lot of feral ones out here) get ahold of the chickens that my neighbors use for feeding their family. So, yes out here people will shoot the cats. Could I shoot one? Probably not, but these cats aren't typically someones pet. They're feral and killing the food of my neighbors.

I find myself to be an advocate for animals, I am against animal cruelty, profit breeding, puppy mills, horse racing/dog racing and so forth. However, if an animal whether be cat, dog or wild animal is in any way effecting the livelihood of a human it should be their right to dispose of the animal how they feel. 

I also understand there are human traps, but when you're out in the country you're more likely to catch possum & rabbits in the traps then you are a cat.

cmb121906
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Bump

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I guess people should keep their cats in their home...which I am a strong advocate of.

If a cat came on my property I would trap it and call animal control and/or sue the owner for any damages the cat did (which I have done). I would personally not shoot it. I think alternative methods can be used.

HOWEVER...If a dog or cat was on my property...harming one of my animals or acting aggressively I would shoot it. Without a doubt.

kk_bella
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

I guess people should keep their cats in their home...which I am a strong advocate of.

If a cat came on my property I would trap it and call animal control and/or sue the owner for any damages the cat did (which I have done). I would personally not shoot it. I think alternative methods can be used.

HOWEVER...If a dog or cat was on my property...harming one of my animals or acting aggressively I would shoot it. Without a doubt.

Agreed.

I am positive that they have this law for a reason.

aapye
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Cats have no business roaming the neighborhood. If you want a cat you need to keep it in your house. A lot of places have no laws against shooting a cat. I hate it when cats get in my yard and use it as a litter box. If you call animal control here over a cat they will not do anything. I have been known to shoot b.bs to scare them off. Don't worry too much my aim is not good and I'm not shooting to hurt them just scare them off my place.
nookers
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Theres a new 12 home subdivision over the hill from us (ugh) and because it is out, wild critters and all (bobcats, coyote's, fox, bear) every one brought a cat or two, (one came over looking for their ferral cat they had "picked up" from the shelter, ear had been clipped to I.D. it as spayed/neuterd) They got the cat to get the field mice. ~If the cats have not been ripped apart by the aformentioned wild animal, the cats find their way to my property ~ dispite the dogs, horses, and kids. Then they PISS in my gardens and they have also KILLED most of the quail hatchlings, and baby bunnies. They are bold, they come up onto my porch and SPRAY on my outdoor furniture, doors and toys, not to mention I had to get rid of the sand box that these cats have used as a litter box! They also have been clawing on the furniture cushions. DH wants to shoot them and I am to the point where I just may let him! Otherwise I am not an advocate for random killing or killing for fun.

NOOKERS<><
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)