Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

farmers market ..how do you KNOW...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

so i want to go all organic..we buy alot of stuff already but i have heard the actual outside farmers markets are usually less expensive HOWEVER how do you know the stuff you are buying from there is good?? like that it is pesticide free and all that good stuff?? is there an inspection they have to go threw to be in a farmers market or do they just show up with stuff and say "hey its safe buy it!" ???

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reelo
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Most will advertise, but usually you are dealing with the people that actually grew the crops- so I just ask :)  Honestly, I've found most are honest about it and quite often even the ones that have used something have used far less then regular produce at the store.  I also liek the whole buy local thing- I mean if its organic but has to be driven across the country it probably isn't as environmentally friendly as something you can buy that was raised across town.

abbynzachsmommy
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

The one we go to is mostly organic, everything is marked. 

From my understanding (and I could be wrong) but they have to meet certain criteria to label anything "organic".

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Pregnant with baby #3? join us! ~ Pregnant again!...baby#3

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

CariO.
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Good question, don't know.

MorganRaesMom
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM

As far as I know you can't just label something as organic to make a profit, so I'm sure there's something they have to go through to prove it!

When we move next week we're going to start going to that towns local farmers market, I'm really excitied since we spend so much on fruits and veggies, the lower cost will definatly help us out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

charleneccj
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM

In order to be certified organic they have to be pesticide free for at least 7 years and they will get certified through their local Agriculture Dept. But don't be afraid to question them and ask for their address to check to see if they are organic, if they hesitate then look else where. Go to local harvest on the web and look up farmers in your area.

reelo
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Most of the farmers selling at farmers markets, at least around here, are not farmers per se-- we have a lot of acreage and plant veggies and sell the extras.  People doing that aren't necessarily required to jump through the hoops that major producers do.  In other words, they can call it organic it just isn't certified organic.

But seriously, just ask.  Thats one of the great things about the farmers market- you get to ask the people who had their hands in the dirt. 

Jafra_mommy
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Quoting reelo:

Most of the farmers selling at farmers markets, at least around here, are not farmers per se-- we have a lot of acreage and plant veggies and sell the extras.  People doing that aren't necessarily required to jump through the hoops that major producers do.  In other words, they can call it organic it just isn't certified organic.

But seriously, just ask.  Thats one of the great things about the farmers market- you get to ask the people who had their hands in the dirt. 

Agreed, just ask. That's how our farmers market is as well, it's just local people who have too much produce. I have one friend that just gives me the leftovers from her garden. I LOVE that! lol

prego7386
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM

we had planned to use our flower bed as a garden instead here on base but they wont allow you to plant anything edible so that sucked for us :( i love fresh grown produce so i guess that will have to wait however i dont really know how the farmers market thing works so i am a little weary of it....of course you would think i'd be more worried about the supermarket pesticides but i work funny sometimes lol

Quoting Jafra_mommy:

Quoting reelo:

Agreed, just ask. That's how our farmers market is as well, it's just local people who have too much produce. I have one friend that just gives me the leftovers from her garden. I LOVE that! lol

kk_bella
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I agree with all the previous posters, just ask them when you go. A farmer's market is not like a grocery store, it is very personal. You are speaking directly to the people who grow the crops. They don't mind to sit and chat with you  unless they are super busy of course. Usually, they will have business cards or a website if you want to get in contact with them outside of the market.

I had trouble finding beeswax so I went to the farmer's market. They had a booth that solds pure honey and said they could get me the beeswax no problem :)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM

What i like about farmers market is that you can usually talk directly to the grower about what processes they use (grain fertilzier, animal based, pesticides)  and you can usually taste whatever you think about buying.  Most vendors here have samples so you can see what you like before you buy.  I would much rather buy produce from farmers market in the summer than go to a grocery store that may ship it in from 2 states over.  We were able to freeze corn we bought from last summer and it kept until about this spring for our meals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)