Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let her go? POLL

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let her go???

Options:

Yes!

No!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 81

View Results

My 7 (almost 8) yr old daughter wants to go to Kids Camp through church.  It is about three hours away (they go by bus) and for kids entering second through fifth grades (she will be entering third grade).  The camp looks really fun - pools, mini golf, climbing walls, a lake, air conditioned dorm type rooms, games, sports, etc.  I actually went to this same camp when I was in elementary school.  She would be going with people I know through church. 

The reason I'm hesitant is because she can't swim.  At all.  Now she knows she can't swim, and she never goes out deeper than she can handle.  But I know kids get goofy and rough sometimes, and I keep seeing some kid playfully pushing her in too deep (irrational or not, I keep thinking that!)

There are nine kids per counselor.  I'm just worried with that many kids there, she can't be watched carefully enough.  I thought about chaperoning, but I can't get off of work for that week.  This morning at church they let kids who wanted to sell candy bars to earn money for camp pick up a box.  My mom let Kylie get a box, and she has already sold 70 bars (in like 2 hours lol!)

I'm planning on calling the lady who organizes this tomorrow and asking her a bunch of questions about lifeguards, how much freedom the kids have, who exactly would be her counselor, etc. 

Based on the info above, would you let her go??????  I would really love to hear comments from you ladies about WHY or WHY NOT, but if you don't want to comment, then please bump!!!!!  THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmySFSGT
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Yes I would.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Oh...and the reason why I would is because when the children are at the pool I am sure they will be closely supervised. It will be a good learning and growing experience for both of you!

prego7386
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM

if you are calling then you will know the info and make you assessment on that BUT i would like to say that i went ot a camp like this and they had the lake divided off into sections that got deeper and before you could go to a deeper section you had to tread water for a certain amount of time and swim a certain distance...depending on how you did they would give you a colored necklace to wear that way they could see if you go tto close to the water are you weren't supposed to be in they would move you.

raine.arnesen
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I would let her go and let them specifically know that she cannot swim and needs to be watched. I'm sure they will be careful with your precious kiddo :) I know I went to church camp many times and it was always fun and pretty safe from what I remember! Let her go and have a good time!

Kaelaasmom

A lot of camps will teach them to swim. I would let her go. 

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

firecat8301

I would let her go. 

ARMYBEBITA
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM

if it's something that she likes to do i say why not, of course as a parent you are concerned so i would say after you ask the questions you wanna ask  if you feel comfortable let her go, just make sure the counselors not just one but all just in case know that she can't swim. it sounds like it would be a good experience.

Nik8608
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I agree with this:

Quoting raine.arnesen:

I would let her go and let them specifically know that she cannot swim and needs to be watched. I'm sure they will be careful with your precious kiddo :) I know I went to church camp many times and it was always fun and pretty safe from what I remember! Let her go and have a good time!

I am the proud wife to my Navy husband.  He isn't a soldier.  He doesn't fight in wars.  Instead, he brings peace to our country by building Naval ships.  Before you bash us and mock us, just think, the only thing keeping YOUR Navy husband safe is the ship that MY husband built.  DD and I anxiously await DH's return from deployment.  We love you!

abbynzachsmommy
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I voted yes, because more likely than not they have tons of life guards there watching over the kids...it would be too much of a liablity for them not to. 

I would still call and ask a bunch of questions, just to be sure.

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

Pregnant with baby #3? join us! ~ Pregnant again!...baby#3

Want to connect with other Navy wives? Check us out! ~ Navy Wives

wmbeener
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Yes, I would let her go.  I would first let her pick out a life vest.  Make sure it is a good fit and she will promise to wear it.  Also, ask if there will be a life guard on duty and make sure someone is CPR certified just to be on the safe side.  Also, make sure they have a land line or good cell service for any emergency phone calls.  I'm a 911 dispatcher and sometimes the worst calls to take are some of the most in need of help and calling from the worst service area or provider. 

Another thought, if there is time for a swim lesson at a local YMCA, take her in for a week of lessons.

Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)