Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Watchers ? and other ?s

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi.  I am 22 and trying to lose approx 50lbs.  I started out at 184-ish and am now down to 177-ish.  I am trying to lose 10lbs a month, so that I can be down the whole 50lbs by the time my DH comes home from deployment.  I am currently taking an herbal supplement and trying to walk between 1-2 miles a day.  I don't have a lot of time in my day for exercising, and to be honest, find it very boring.

A friend of mine does weight watchers and when she is dedicated, she loses the weight.  Money isn't exactly in surplus right now and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how the program works, what the commitments are, how often I have to attend meetings, etc.  so that I can decide if it's something I'm willing to pay for.

Also, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I've been trying to lose the weight for over a year now and can't seem to get it off and keep it off by myself.  Admittedly most of it is my own fault (lack of motivation/depression over-eating/not eating healthy) but I'm trying to turn that around. 

Last month I lost 7 lbs, but my goal is 10 lbs a month...

Any thoughts?

I am the proud wife to my Navy husband.  He isn't a soldier.  He doesn't fight in wars.  Instead, he brings peace to our country by building Naval ships.  Before you bash us and mock us, just think, the only thing keeping YOUR Navy husband safe is the ship that MY husband built.  DD and I anxiously await DH's return from deployment.  We love you!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanD
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I'm on weight watchers for the 2nd time. I started the first time after I had my second child and did great! I was certainly on track and had lost about 20lbs when my oldest was hospitalized and then my husband got extended (deployment) and I completely fell off the wagon and gained a metric ton (not literally, but close enough lol).

Anyway, I joined WW again when he deployed this time. So far, I've lost about 27lbs or so. I've had times where I've slipped up and where I didn't stick to the plan. Thats part of life frankly. However, I've either lost or maintained (within 1lb) and haven't actually gained anything back over the course of the past few months, including a vacation with trips to a martini bar and cheesecake from my bestie's culinary artist boyfriend : )

Anyway, the way that the program works, you are given a certain number of points per day (and some extra per week) based upon your weight/height and your lifestyle (active, moderate, sedentary). Then you stay within those point and doing this you should lose 1-2 lbs per week. You add in some activity (walking, working out) and it should be slightly more. Its all about portion control, and making good choices. I honestly love the program. However, I do it online (its about 16.00 a month) and I never attend any meetings. I record my weight on their site weekly and use their logging tools for food and activities.

momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I'm on Weight Watchers right now and I love it. In 3 weeks, I've lost about 7 pounds and it's so easy to follow, it's very satisfying and you can really eat anything you want, as long as you keep within your daily points.

Personally, I've found WW to be the healthiest and better diet out there. I don't believe in low-carb diets, I don't think it's healthy. And any diet that promises you to loose a huge amount of weight in a short time or without much effort, is a scam, IMO. Weight Watchers doens'tpromise you this. It's very clear that you have to watch your portions and your caloric intake, it clearly states that you'll loose weight slowly and it encourages you to work out. But bottom line is, it works, and not just as a diet you follow for a while and then forget and go back to gain weith, it makes yuo change your whole way of eating and taking care of yourself. And that's really what will ultimately make you keep the weight off.

Personally, I strongly recommend it. You can join WW online, I think they have 2 weeks free trial right now and give it a shot. If you like it, you can try to join.

Sharon

serioussifL
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM

check this out    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=An.sBFHnCpc9htsdNpT9b9UjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20090414050753AAYx8qo

and if you want to be weight-loss buddies (sounds corney I know), Im trying to lose about 50 more lbs before my hubby gets back on R&R from deployment, just message me! 

I am a breastfeeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and mom.

Nik8608
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Thanks ladies!

And BUMP for more info.

I am the proud wife to my Navy husband.  He isn't a soldier.  He doesn't fight in wars.  Instead, he brings peace to our country by building Naval ships.  Before you bash us and mock us, just think, the only thing keeping YOUR Navy husband safe is the ship that MY husband built.  DD and I anxiously await DH's return from deployment.  We love you!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jul. 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Healthy Weight Loss Weight Loss in 2009 Weight Watchers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)