Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone a recovering addict or know someone that is??

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

I don't really know where to start there is so much info to say...But we can just cut to the point. My older sis is hooked on heroin and cocaine. She is in jail right now. Her two sons are in state custody and in a few wks they will be adopted into this family they are living with. She hasn't seen her boys in 3 months and she's missed two court dates. When I saw her most recent pic I lost it. She looks horrible. I want to help her so bad, but she won't speak to me. She believes that her losing her boys is my fault.

My question is How can I help her?? With her being so far down, is she capable of going up again? Please anything will help me. I'm going to try and visit her at the jail. I'm not sure if she'll let me or not. But I"m tired of watching her die a slow death.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah969
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:07 PM

bump

banner2.jpg picture by Songtress1986

Je_Jette_Poo
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I'm going to PM you

kk_bella
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I'm a recovering addict and so is my husband. The best thing you can do for her is to not enable her and attend some kind of family counseling. If she is lucky enough to get sentenced to rehab, they will have family counseling opportunities.

Yes, she can come back from that. I thought that there was a point of no return, but seeing my brother in law get clean after 25 years of meth addiction, I am positive that anyone can do it. They have to want it, though, not anyone else.

mybabyapples
by Purple People Eater on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM

get her into detox, a rehab, and a long term "sober living". a home for recovering addicts.who wants to blame themselves for their own mistakes, its always easier to blame others.just be supportive.she can recover, it just takes a long time.especially when its heroin.i hope for the best for your sister and you! 

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:12 PM

unfortunately there is nothing you can do to help her unless she wants to help herself.   i have known a few addicts, and only the ones that wanted to kick the habit and change did.  good luck!

CafeMom Tickers

sexylady34
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:14 PM

why is no one from the family adopting her children?

RiverPhenix
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I have been clean for six years now and the other posters are correct, you can't help her only she can help herself. Be there if she wants to talk or when she is clean and comes looking for you. Just be there for her and definitly don't enable her in any way. Please know, if you already don't, you had nothing to do with her kids being taken away, she did that all on her own. Good luck to you sweet heart.

Sirenabella
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I know several and unfortunately I have found there isn't much you can do until they are ready to help themselves. Try not to enable them.  

mom03417
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I am still in the recovery process from my addiction i have only been clean for about 4 months now and its a hard thing to do, my wake up was when my 6 yr old daugher came up to me and said " mommy why do you smoke pot?" i lost it and that was a real slap in the face, now we never done it around her but he have talked about it in front of her and i guess i never thought that she would catch on or even understand what i was talking about but i was wrong and i hve realized that she is just a little person and has ears, but that was my big wake up call, and i hope that one day your sister will wake up and see what she is loosing!!! Heroin is a hard  drug to come off of and i have actually heard of people dying from comeing off that shit, but i hate to say this but your sister is right where she needs to be. Now i have put my self into NA meeting around my town, and my husband as well goes with me, but like the other posters have said she has to want to change and its easier to blame other people then yourself, good luck with your sister and i will keep her in my prayers

butterfli_mom
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I am an addict and have been sober now since June 2001.

I alone had to say enough was enough to quit. I would be glad to talk to you or help in any way that I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)