Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you call CPS?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

EVERYDAY I here my neighbours yelling at there children. I don't know the family, we've never talked or anything. We have a very large park behind us with a playground in the corner of it and I've seent he children playing there so I could guess there approximate ages to be around 4, 6, 9 and 12 - But i don't know for sure.

I don't really think its a CPS case, but i just feel for those kids. I hear them every single day be utterly screamed at by a male voice (guessing their father). I wouldn't usually be too concerned because sometimes you may need to yell to get heard or whatever, but this amount and the things I hear him scream are just too much. Today I was out back playing with the dog while watering the yard and I shamefully was eavesdropping on it (I don't really think eavesdropping is the right word when it can be openly heard by the entire neighbourhood)and the way he was talking to those kids I wouldn't even talk to my dog like that.
So while I was watering I heard.
"oh your arm hurts, boo hoo, F*$king toughen up"
"for christ sake get the F%$ck outside and leave me the hell alone, I don't care"(at this point the child was crying loudly and the guy just kept repeating over his cry's I don't care)
it was quiet for a bit then he said "I thought I F&^ken told you C%$ts to get out of my house"

Thats just a short version of things I hear everyday. It makes me think there may be other things going on and I'd hate for it to escalate into things far worse. I don't evenk now the family, Would you call and tell CPS your concerns or just leave it as its none of your business?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

100% yes.

You dont know what else goes on inside that house, and better safe than sorry. 

I'm Ashley, a 27 year old, stay at home mommy of a private schooled 1st grader, non spanked 3 year old, extended rear facing 15 month old, and married to a softball playing husband. They are all boys and they are the loves of my life.  I love to clean, cook, shop and get pedicures. I am *the* princess in my house :)   Why do I rear face my toddler? Because autopsy reports have shown that children under 2 years old are at 4 times the risk of Internal Decapitation when forward facing.


by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

If I kept hearing someone speaking to a child like this then I might give CPS a phone call and run the situation by them, to see if this is something that they would investigate, CPS might tell you to maybe listen out for other things that might be taking place, so yep I would give them a short call.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I probably would just incase but thats my opinion. Sounds like something might be going on if he's talking to children like that! Call your local police and talk to them and see what they tell you.

by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Unless you KNOW that he is actually physically harming the kids, don't call. In my opinion, (i'm not saying you or any one person in general) run and call CPS wayyyy to often and easily.

by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I would.  That is emotional/mental abuse, no question about it.  Especially since it is on a consistent basis.  And if he speaks to them with such anger, its likely he doesn't limit his rage to just words. 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I would consider that menatl abuse. Do what you think is right! 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM

 i agree, i would call.. and im not a call cps freak! lol i would bc mental abuse #1 ... and #2 he said "oh your arm hurts, i dont give a shit" ... why does his/her arm hurt? did the adult male do it? regardless the child is injured to the extent of crying over it, and the "father" is doing nothing. i would call, like another person said, just run it by them. IF your still not sure, call your local police stations non emergency # and ask them if they think it is a reportable offence. good luck, better safe than sorry.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I would call if it continues. Children need an advocate and that is verbal abuse, who knows if and what other abuses are going on.  Better safe then sorry.  I'd rather be the bitch that gets involved to protect a child then the one who sits quiet and lets it happen JMO.  And just because you call does not mean they will take the kids away that day, but they may at least open a case and keep an eye out awhile, Good Luck

by Purple People Eater on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM


by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Yes since this has been going on-it would be of best interest tell them (as clear as you know-how long, when, to what kids (even ages --I know you said you don't know what kids-more details better--the key here is YOU SAID you have had heard this quite a bit if I heard you correctly so then YES this would/should be a call that could be called to CPS.  Take Care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)