Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cake question please answer

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm trying to ice a  cake and can't figure out how do you smooth the edge to get the icing smooth please help me.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
2brats1chkymnky
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I have no clue but here is a bump, I just use those flat like spatulas but then again mine look homemade. Not sure if you are going for a nice look,lol. Like these ones.

FostrMom1
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Wax Paper.  My Mom took a cake deco class.  When she makes a cake once its coole she takes a long "bread" knife and gently cuts off the top layer of the cake so it is even and not raised.  Then frosts it evenly, then you take wax paper and smooth everthing out w/ flat edge of knife or finger.  Good l uck

Mommy4two
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM

How do you not get the icing to come off when you rub it around the icing recipe we used looks like it would rub right off if you used a paper towel or piece of wax paper

Quoting FostrMom1:

Wax Paper.  My Mom took a cake deco class.  When she makes a cake once its coole she takes a long "bread" knife and gently cuts off the top layer of the cake so it is even and not raised.  Then frosts it evenly, then you take wax paper and smooth everthing out w/ flat edge of knife or finger.  Good l uck

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:17 PM

First you do a crumb coat....basically it's a very thin layer of icing to smooth the crumbs down. Let that sit until set....then with an icing spatula (looks kind of like a butter knife) or a long smooth knife, spread the frosting evenly and smooth the top and edges.

pam228
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM

my gramma uses a papertowel. she lets the frosting set for a few minutes,so it doesn't stick. cakes don't last long enough to decorate in my house, but i've watched my gramma do it for years.

Quoting Mommy4two:

How do you not get the icing to come off when you rub it around the icing recipe we used looks like it would rub right off if you used a paper towel or piece of wax paper

Quoting FostrMom1:

FostrMom1
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Yea sorry I forgot that detail!! OOPS, you do have to let it sit for awhile before smoothing so it doesnt stick.  Then do the wax paper thing.  Have never heard fo using paper towel, but if PP's grama does it it must works, Gramas know whats goin on :)

mama2mycuties
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM

you can wet the spatula or knife, whatever you're using to ice, and it will smooth it out and not stick..........has always worked great for me!

jaysonsmommy15
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:56 PM

let the cake cool and do a small coat first just in case you get crumbs.  once that is on for a few minutes coat it again with thicker icing and then use the wax paper and smooth it over. if you dont have wax paper try wetting your finger and smoothing the edges over

Mommy4two
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:20 AM

thanks everyone I want to start making cakes and hopefully try to go into business for myself with my friend. We're just learning the basics now though :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)