Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

dilating when not pregnant

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

I noticed that anytime I have sex with my dh my cervix dilates to around 1 cm or so. I have checked my cervix ever since I had preterm labor with my last pregnancy. I discovered I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced at 28 weeks but I ended up delivering her at 37 weeks. I am thinking I have an incompetent cervix. Does this happen to anyone else? I go in for a pap smear next week so I will ask my obgyn but I am curious if this happens to anyone else. It occurs when I am not ovulating or near my period. I will be dilated for a whole day and the next day it will close back up.

by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
geminishadow79
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Quoting candicefield:

I noticed that anytime I have sex with my dh my cervix dilates to around 1 cm or so. I have checked my cervix ever since I had preterm labor with my last pregnancy. I discovered I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced at 28 weeks but I ended up delivering her at 37 weeks. I am thinking I have an incompetent cervix. Does this happen to anyone else? I go in for a pap smear next week so I will ask my obgyn but I am curious if this happens to anyone else. It occurs when I am not ovulating or near my period. I will be dilated for a whole day and the next day it will close back up.

I believe you will dilate slightly when you ovulate to let the sperm in.  I'm not a medical expert at all but I don't think you have an incompetent cervix.  I have one and only carried my DD to 31 weeks.  I would think if that was the issue you wouldn't have carried her all the way to 37.  Then again like I said i have no idea what I"m talking about

Angee3Monkeys
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Never checked lol... wouldn't know how to check.  

baby
candicefield
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I know when you ovulate you dilate slightly but it happens whether I am ovulating or not. I know you can carry a baby to term with an incompetent cervix but it can become worse next pregnancy. My aunt had an incompetent cervix and carried her first baby full term and lost her second baby at 20 weeks. She had problems with the rest of her pregnancies. I was dilated to 8 cm the day I went into labor with barely any contractions.  Thanks for responding :) I am not positive if it is either but like I said I dont know or think it is normal.

Quoting geminishadow79:

Quoting candicefield:

I believe you will dilate slightly when you ovulate to let the sperm in.  I'm not a medical expert at all but I don't think you have an incompetent cervix.  I have one and only carried my DD to 31 weeks.  I would think if that was the issue you wouldn't have carried her all the way to 37.  Then again like I said i have no idea what I"m talking about

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Thats interesting.. I have never checked myself.. I would have to try it sometime.. how in the world do u do that and what would it feel like if u are dilated any..

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08

Got Mamas Milk Blinkie
I Love My LCPL BlinkieProud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

candicefield
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:57 PM

You stick your finger in until you feel a round thing with a little dimple/hole. If you can fit a fingertip into the hole then you are about 1 cm dilated. Basically when your not dilated it will just feel like a dimple but if you are you will notice it is open. The first time I checked myself I could feel my baby's head in the bag of water! That shocked me and that is when I sent myself straight to the midwives office. Ever since then I check myself for no reason.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

Thats interesting.. I have never checked myself.. I would have to try it sometime.. how in the world do u do that and what would it feel like if u are dilated any..

Kerfuffle
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting candicefield:

You stick your finger in until you feel a round thing with a little dimple/hole. If you can fit a fingertip into the hole then you are about 1 cm dilated. Basically when your not dilated it will just feel like a dimple but if you are you will notice it is open. The first time I checked myself I could feel my baby's head in the bag of water! That shocked me and that is when I sent myself straight to the midwives office. Ever since then I check myself for no reason.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

I had preterm with 2 of my pregnancies... dilated with no contractions...  so I tried to check....   but I dunno...  it freaks me out I guess. I also can't find the opening. I can find my cervix....    but no the "dimple".  I am not sure why.  I am afraid of scratching it or something too

nanjo33
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I have an incompetent cervix.  When you were dilated with your baby was a cerclage put in?

lilmammaweisner
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry i have never checked but i did have a very funny mental picture of trying

candicefield
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM

No. I was already dilated to a three so they said it was too late anyways. My midwife did not think I had an incompetent cervix but I am beginning to question what she said. My mom is an arnp and she thinks I do have it. I want to know if I do  have it so I can have a cerclage put in next time I am pregnant.

Quoting nanjo33:

I have an incompetent cervix.  When you were dilated with your baby was a cerclage put in?

edwardsgirl
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM

So your midwife just let you go about your business at 3cm dilated and 30% effaced? Are you sure  you were that dilated?

I have never checked myself but have checked 100's of others and i don't think its physically possible to get a accurate "read" of your cervix yourself. Maybe it is, but i don' t know, seems like there would be a lot of squatting and putting yourself into different positions to even reach it due to the fact that it changes position depending on the time of month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN