Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I've got a question... ovulation during pregnancy?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

I've googled the hell out of this question, and I'd like to know where people are getting their information. I've read a couple of times on here that some think it's possible to get pregnant while already being pregnant. Basically, you're pregnant but you keep ovulating, and you get pregnant while being pregnant. I'd like to see an article on this, or something. If it's happened to you or someone you know, then it's common enough that doctors have to be investigating and writing articles on it....

by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HeatherMae55
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM

I can't remember what it's called, but I do know it is possible - but rare..  Hmmm... lemme go google some..

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

cuddlebunnymom
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I don't think it's that common but i was told by my OB when i was pregnant that it is possible to get pregnant while pregnant.  Specially if your still having your period.

HeatherMae55
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Here's one:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30864533/ns/parenting_and_family/

heteropaternal superfecundation - this is just twins by different fathers, but I figure that's what your talking about. Right?

Blame Straight People   prochoice.jpg pro choice image by thekiltedyaksmendefault.jpg leagalize dont pentalize marijuana image by earlsworld70117

steph2884
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM

I finally found the technical term for it... superfetation

steph2884
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:45 AM

It doesn't have to be from different fathers. I understand that two different eggs can be fertilized by two different fathers... but what I'm trying to figure out is when a woman is already pregnant and she ovulates and gets pregnant again... so there are weeks between development of the two babies.

Quoting HeatherMae55:

Here's one:

heteropaternal superfecundation - this is just twins by different fathers, but I figure that's what your talking about. Right?

HeatherMae55
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Oh - I get it.  Same issue though I suppose...   That's gotta be really freaky though.  lol!

Quoting steph2884:

It doesn't have to be from different fathers. I understand that two different eggs can be fertilized by two different fathers... but what I'm trying to figure out is when a woman is already pregnant and she ovulates and gets pregnant again... so there are weeks between development of the two babies.

Quoting HeatherMae55:

Here's one:

steph2884
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM

It IS possible, though it's extremely rare. There have only been a handful of confirmed cases around the world. There are even some pictures of these babies online if you google superfetation. I find it facinating.... and here I was thinking people were crazy when they said you could get pregnant while already pregnant...

Quoting HeatherMae55:

Oh - I get it.  Same issue though I suppose...   That's gotta be really freaky though.  lol!

Quoting steph2884:

Quoting HeatherMae55:

Here's one:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)