Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the military wives!!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

i just got a GREAT book called "Today's Military Wife" its the 6th edition.  it has all of the info on the benefits, services, socials, customs,traditions, options for our education and portable careers, money things such as the LES and budgeting, housing, moving, living overseas,separations, getting out and even the chapters on our worst nightmares...the survivors and wounded warriors stuff. i even noticed some parts that had the rank structures and dress guidelines for all the events we go to. I thought it would help out the new ones especially but i have ran across a lot of the vetted wives that still are a little hazy on things. It was only 20 bucks at the Barnes and noble store so it was totally worth it!

by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lcappytan05
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM

it's really great they have stuff like that!!!

I already know all I need to know, but if I come into any new military wives, I will point them that way!

prego7386
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM

yeah i get all of the "new girls" the book married to the military but i like this one better..its longer but it goes into wayyy more detail!

Quoting lcappytan05:

it's really great they have stuff like that!!!

I already know all I need to know, but if I come into any new military wives, I will point them that way!

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Hey thanks, that's great....I once had to take a class on the proper attire for certain events, I wonder if they still hold those classes?  Sorry for the random thought, it sounds like a great book.

prego7386
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM

well i know they have classes for the newcomers..forgot what it was called but i didnt really feel like showing up for a few days honestly lol i would have rather gone out and explored things and while i did go threw the marriage counseling classes they give i always get these books when they come out...i never want to be one of the wives that has no idea what is going on. there are too many of those in my opinion and it shouldnt be that way!

Quoting cjsmom0206:

Hey thanks, that's great....I once had to take a class on the proper attire for certain events, I wonder if they still hold those classes?  Sorry for the random thought, it sounds like a great book.

adamjackie
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Awsome, here is a bump

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM

No, that's not the class I took. In fact, my dh had to go too, it was with all his classmates and their spouses. It was strictly on attire and protocol.

Quoting prego7386:

well i know they have classes for the newcomers..forgot what it was called but i didnt really feel like showing up for a few days honestly lol i would have rather gone out and explored things and while i did go threw the marriage counseling classes they give i always get these books when they come out...i never want to be one of the wives that has no idea what is going on. there are too many of those in my opinion and it shouldnt be that way!

Quoting cjsmom0206:

prego7386
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM

hmm well maybe it was a unit thing. i wish they would do that everywhere though. it never fails..we went to a "professional dinner" at a nice golf resort and some other staff sgt shows up with his wife and she was wearing  a PINK wig and a very short dress! we all thought she was a street walker honestly that he had picked up on the way there because he showed up and then left about 30 minutes later. and at the marine corps ball there were a few girls that showed up with extremely short dresses that were more like for the club than a very formal event!

Quoting cjsmom0206:

No, that's not the class I took. In fact, my dh had to go too, it was with all his classmates and their spouses. It was strictly on attire and protocol.

Quoting prego7386:

Quoting cjsmom0206:

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:34 PM

When I first came around the Corps I got one called Roses and Thorns.  It's a guide for Marine Wives, it's pretty good, you get some good info on the customs and courtesies and what not.  I come from Army so I was clueless to some of the Marines stuff lol.

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I"m a veteran and there are still things I have to research at times...I at least know where to start though so that helps lol. Thanks for sharing. bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)