Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby born at 30 weeks?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

My friend is pregnant, and she's about 30 weeks. She believes that she could have the baby any day now, since she's been having a lot of contractions. My question is, can a baby born at 30 weeks survive? Does he have to stay in the hospital a long time?

Pregnancy Ticker

I am a Christian, married, mommy-to be. I am a FUTURE delayed vaxing, spanking when necessary, breastfeeding, rear-facing, non-co-sleeping, disposable diapering, going to college full-time kind of mom.

by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CANDYLC
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My son was born at 31 weeks and he was in the NICU for 2 months

ElijahsMommy58
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Yes a baby born at 30 weeks can survive. She's talked to her doctor about the contractions right? Cause if they are concerned they can give her a shot to help develop the baby's lungs I think.

Lovin Sr. Airman Walker && Adoring Mother To Elijah <3

jillbailey26
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My daughter was born at 30 weeks and is a happy, healthy one year old now.  She was in the NICU for 9 weeks.

~Jill~

raine.arnesen
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

A baby could be born at 30 weeks, but they will give her stuff at the hospital to help stop the labor (I'm not sure what it's called) and she would probably be put on bedrest, at least that is what happened to my SIL.

I'm sure that a baby born at 30 weeks would have to spend some time in the hospital.

It could always be braxton-hicks.

madhouseof5
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My best mate son was born at 30 weeks and he came in at 4lbs and was put into specal care for a couple of weeks  only because he could not keep himself warm

He is a new health 17 year old standing at 6ft tall and doing well

Sometime they give steroids to the mother before they are born strengthen their lungs

Michelle2080
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I'm sure the baby will have to stay for a while. The lungs won't be fully developed. My nephew was born bwtween 20- 24 weeks and is now a 12 year old boy. He was only 1 lb. He was in the hospital forever (not sure, it is my Dh's sister's child). The bills were in the millions. He had to have some surgeries for his eyes and other needs. But he is healthy now and a typical boy! Have faith in medicine, they will do all they can to make sure the baby has a chance.

kathyshelton
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM

my twins were born at 30 weeks, they were very small and had medical problems but they turned 19 yesterday. you can't tell they were preemies, their big boys so yes, yhey can make it. they stayed in the hospital for 2 months.

Quoting katzero:

My friend is pregnant, and she's about 30 weeks. She believes that she could have the baby any day now, since she's been having a lot of contractions. My question is, can a baby born at 30 weeks survive? Does he have to stay in the hospital a long time?

Cavalrybaby02
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

At 30 weeks, the baby has a very good chance of survival.

But they do have to stay in the hospital for a while, some for a couple of months. 

The average hospital stay for a preemie is to get them to 40 weeks, so if they were born at 30 weeks, they would have to stay in the hospital around 10 weeks.

I do hope that your friend has been talking to her doctor about this and he/she is keeping a very close eye on her.

mommasbabies77
by on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

My little guy was born at26 weeks

jamminmomma
by Member on Jul. 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

My bestfriend had a little mirale born at 30 weeks and he weighed 1 #  13 ounces. Yes he was very little but he was a born fighter in order for them to transfer him to a larger hospital with a NICU they had to sedate him so he would stop pulling out his I.V.'s He spent 4 months in the hospital.  He has had digestive problems but other than that he is a perfectly little guy he now weighs 20 #'s he has no major health problems now. Yes he is one of the few that have no major issues but with the power of prayer anything is possible. So tell your friend to pray harder than she has ever prayed for anything and ask everyone she knows to pray that her little bundle will stay put until it is time for him/her to come and God will do what is best for the baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)