Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What is a teaching degree called?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am thinking of going back to school to be a teacher. I cant find what the degree that teachers need is and I want to see what classes I need to do that. Does anyone know?

by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I already looked under education and teaching and those classes dont exist.

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM

It depends what you want to be certified in, I have a Bachelor of Sciene in Elementary and Early Childhood Education.  I have Masters Degee in Special Education.

brandithesuperm
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I'm in a community college and the 2 year program they offer is Associate of Arts in Teaching or A.A.T

ILoveMyJason
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I'm not sure if it works this way in every state, but here (as far as I know), you get a teacher's certification (outside of college) and major in a subject at school that you feel may be a focus of yours. There is no specific "education" major.

Lilypie Lilypie
laranadtony
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM

a certification as a nut

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM

okay, I think thats what I want except I want to teach grade school classes, but not just science what is that called?

Quoting shajdinyak:

It depends what you want to be certified in, I have a Bachelor of Sciene in Elementary and Early Childhood Education.  I have Masters Degee in Special Education.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I don't see how you couldn't find it? You need a BS in education....that's usually the general degree and you can get more sepcific, like early childhood, special education, etc.

Just check out some of your local colleges and check to see if they have an education department.

Quoting misssy2000:

I already looked under education and teaching and those classes dont exist.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM

What do you mean outside of college? like in high school?

Quoting ILoveMyJason:

I'm not sure if it works this way in every state, but here (as far as I know), you get a teacher's certification (outside of college) and major in a subject at school that you feel may be a focus of yours. There is no specific "education" major.

Paesana82
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Really?!?!? Here you need a BA in education unlesss you want to work in a private school, some of them don't require a BA but most of them do.

Quoting ILoveMyJason:

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

tclizzle8507
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Then you would do a General Education K-4 or K-6. Or it may be called Early Childhood. You have to have a bacherlor's degree to get certification. B.S. or B.A. Either of those two or fine.

Quoting misssy2000:

okay, I think thats what I want except I want to teach grade school classes, but not just science what is that called?

Quoting shajdinyak:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)