Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Severe upper back/shoulder pain.. hurts to breathe.. piog

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I'm currently uninsured, which is why I'm coming here first to see if anyone has dealt w/ this and might be able to give me some ideas on what it could be... I've asked a few ppl and all Ive gotten is it could be a pulled muscle, or ectopic preg.

Anyways, so the pain started like two days ago.. It's on the left side like 7 inches down from the top of my shoulder... It hurts to breathe deep, and just in general. It hurts to move.. It's very severe, it brought me to tears a lot last night.  I can't think of any other symptoms, other than my glands are a bit swollen, but that seems completely unrelated.  I asked my husband to crack my back last night because sometimes that helps but as soon as he wrapped his arms around me I screamed for him to stop because it hurt so bad.

Any advice Ladies?

by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gobimom
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Well you found a nurse...and there are so many different things that can cause pain like you are describing.  I know you don't have insurance but i think you should go to your doctor and get it checked out.  Feel better. 

mom22tumblebugs
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:46 AM

slipped disc - ...  ?

Take ibuprofen in the meantime to reduce inflammation and pain.

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/neck/cervical_disc_prolapse_full.php

Katee1107
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM

thanks!! I'd love to go to the doctor but unfortunately I don't have 200 bucks to shell out right now.  Worst comes to worse I'll go to the ER. I'm just afraids its gonna be a strained muscle or something and then i'll feel stupid

Quoting gobimom:

Well you found a nurse...and there are so many different things that can cause pain like you are describing.  I know you don't have insurance but i think you should go to your doctor and get it checked out.  Feel better. 

Katee1107
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM

does a slipped disc fix itself on it's own??

Thanks!

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

slipped disc - c5 c7 vertebrae...  ?

mom22tumblebugs
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Not usually. But it can be helped with physical therapy, strengthening the muscles around hte spine, good posuture etc...

Symptoms
In the lower back, they cause various combinations of back pain, buttock, groin or leg pain by irritating the adjacent nerves and from irritation within the disc itself. This pain is loosely termed Sciatica. When the slipped disc presses on the nerve, it may cause numbness or pins and needles in the leg. This may be associated with weakness such as “foot drop” (difficulty lifting the toes and foot up) or weakness when pushing off with the foot.
In the neck, they may produce neck pain, headaches and pain in the face, shoulders arms and hands. When the slipped disc presses on the nerves in the neck, it may cause numbness or pins and needles in the face, shoulder, arm or hand. This may be associated with weakness of shoulder, elbow, wrist or hand movements.

Treatment
The symptoms arising from the first attack of a slipped disc settle down over the first 6 weeks and half of the remainder will settle over the next 6 weeks. Treatment during this period is focused upon reducing the irritation with anti-inflammatory drugs (Steroids or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Therapy such as Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Acemethacin) and correcting posture and maintaining mobility by using Muscle Balance Physiotherapy.
Repeated attacks or enduring symptoms need more radical treatment and these may be grouped in to 3 treatment pathways: Conservative Therapy, Conventional Open Surgery and Endoscopic Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. (To see these diagrammatically please click here lumbar treatment pathways and here for cervical treatment pathways).
Conservative therapy consists of Muscle Balance Physiotherapy, injection, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and coping courses and a restricted lifestyle and the hope that the symptoms will abate over time. Whilst not without risk altogether surgical options carry greater risk and can not guarantee success. The surgical options are tabulated below and details of

Quoting Katee1107:

does a slipped disc fix itself on it's own??

Thanks!

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

slipped disc - c5 c7 vertebrae...  ?

HuntersMomee
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

gas pains?

like an air bubble up there.

i got it REALLY bad after both of my csections.... but unles syou had surgery recently, idk....

but ive gotten it before w/out any surgery  up under my ribs and it hurts to breath in.

if it is gas, it helps to rock in a rocking chair.... or to walk around a lot and just pass it....

¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)                          (¯`v´¯)                          (¨*.¸*.¸
(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.¨¯`¯♥♥♥    `*.¸.*´   
♥♥♥¯`¯¨.¸¸ ´. ´.¸) ´.¸)

parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I had a pulled or strained muscle that ran from my shoulder, down my are and down my back to my waist (there is a huge muscle there).  My ring finger and pinky finger on my left hand were numb and it took my breath away sometimes to breathe.  I suffered with that for like 2 weeks before I finally gave in (thinking i was having a heart attack) and went to the doc.  I was put on muscle relaxers and told to take Advil so many times a day and, had to go to physical therapy. 

So, if it is a pulled or strained muscle, it won't get better on it's own for a long time.  I'd just go to the ER and find out what it is - I'd rather feel stupid about going for a pulled muscle than not going and having it be something serious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)