Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My cousin who was missing for almost 6 years has been found! *UPDATE* *Another update* *Newest update 9-28-09*

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM
  • 63 Replies

So my cousin Ryan has been in and out of trouble since he was a younger teen..14 or so. Trouble with drugs, drinking and things like that, went to treatment more than once and struggled with those things. He ran away a few times in the past but always came back after a few months. He got married and had 2 kids and shortly after his 2nd child was born, he ran away again. He has been gone for nearly 6 years. My aunt and uncle have been looking for him so hard ever since and finally 5 days ago they got a call from the private investigator they hired that he had found my cousin. Please don't judge..he did leave his wife and 2 kids but he was in a lot of trouble and had a very tough childhood. We think he just lost it and couldn't handle it all and felt he had to leave (we're still not sure exactly why he left). He went AWOL from the Navy as well when he ran away. There were rumors that his captain (or whatever the title is) was sexually assaulting the men on his crew and he was being bribed and he was in huge drug trouble from the past to the point where his life was being threatened. The FBI had even been looking for him. My aunt and uncle left last night on the road to go to him. He has no idea his parents have found him and that they are on their way. They can't even tell us where he is yet because they don't want word to get to him and for him to run again. If you have any spare time, please pray it goes well when they approach him. We don't know if he's going to be angry, if he's going to run again, if he's going to pretend he's happy and then run off after they leave or if maybe he truly is happy to be found and just felt too ashamed to come back after so long. His son and daughter are 8 and 6 now. He hasn't seen his son since he was a newborn baby. The source that knew where Ryan is said he recently had circumstances in his life that just changed that might allow him to reunite with his family. I don't know what any of that means right now, but I'm guessing he was still in trouble for awhile after he left. My family has been waiting for this news for so long. We're so happy he's alive and in good health (according to the source who confirmed his whereabouts). Any prayers at all would be greatly appreciated. They are going to see him today which is going to be a huge surprise to him since he has no idea he's been found. They left on the road last night and said they would arrive sometime today to where he is. Please pray he's happy and not angry. Please pray that he comes back to us. He's only 27 and has his whole life ahead of him. Thank you for any prayers. We don't want him to run again and lose him again!

I just got a call from my mom today and got updated on the situation. We hadn't heard from my aunt all weekend long. Earlier today my mom called and said my aunt and uncle did not know exactly where he was, but they were in the same city as him. They just didn't know where he lived. They were able to get his email through a 3rd party and my aunt emailed him expressing their love for him and how much they miss him and how they love him no matter what he's done or where he's been this whole time. He emailed back!!! He said how much he's missed them and how he has felt too ashamed to come back and they emailed him back again and said their love is unconditional and they have no anger towards him. They just want their son back. They told him they would be in San Francisco (which is where he is living..I know that now) until tomorrow and if he has it in him to talk or see them, he can call and they emailed their cell phone numbers. He called!!! He gave them his address and asked them to come and they are with him right now. I am so incredibly happy. My aunt and uncle must just be hysterical right now. I am so so so happy! He's been in San Fransisco this whole time. I just hope and pray that Ryan is wanting to stay in contact for good this time and be part of the family again and never feel that he has to run away ever again. He's much older now (27) than he was when he ran away (21) so hopefully he has matured enough to where he's ready to be a man and own up to his fatherhood and going AWOL and to clean himself up. I'll update again after I hear how their reunion goes. His reaction couldn't have been any better!

Just got off the phone with my mom again. She's been keeping me updated on the whole thing. My aunt and uncle have been visiting for the past 4 hours so my mom called my aunt Jan just to see how things are going and she said they were still visiting with Ryan so my mom said she was sorry she interrupted and she would talk to her later so my aunt said hold on and handed the phone to Ryan and he talked with my mom! She said he apologized for being gone and said the longer he was gone, the more he felt that he could never contact his family again. He said the last 5.5 yrs without family have been the hardest thing he's ever endured and he said he's never going anywhere again. My aunt said she had to completely do her makeup again because she had mascara running all the down her neck from bawling and sobbing for so long with him in her arms. I can't even imagine how incredibly happy they must be to know their son is alive and well and loves them. He said he has felt guilty every single day for not being a dad to his kids and has felt like all of us would be too angry at him for him to ever come back. My aunt and uncle are getting ready to go out to dinner with Ryan and spend some more time with him. Thank you soooo much for your support and prayers. My aunt hasn't been the same since he disappeared and finally that missing piece is there again. We are so happy!

Newest Update - - - So we went to AZ for a little family reunion we had for Ryan's homecoming. We went on Sept 17th-20th. It was AWESOME! I got to spend a lot of time with Ryan. He talked to us a lot about why he left. He had so much pressure on him and he just snapped and couldn't take it anymore. I went into a little detail previously, but basically his dad was very hard on him growing up (he's a military lifer) and his wife at the time was making false accusations about him, she was threatening to leave him, they were fighting really bad, he was fighting drug addictions and having issues on his Naval ship. Long story short..he thought he was better off leaving everyone alone. He promised us all that we would never ever disappear again. Happy to say he's been drug free for 4 yrs now. He's working at his mom's company right now and starting to pay child support, he's talked with his kids, he will be seeing them in person in the near future and him and his parents are working on rebuilding their lives together again. He's living back in AZ with them in their home temporarily to save up some money and then he'll be moving back to San Fran. Here are a few pics I thought I would share. Thanks for all the support!

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cyndi310
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I will have you all in my prayers-GL

scootermom

That's great that they were able to find him!  I hope for everyone that he is happy he has been found.  I'll be prayng for him and your family that this goes well.

adamjackie

My prayers are with you and your family

LA8YBUG

Wow!  My prayers are with your family for a happy reunion! God Bless!

kittygurl1234
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quoting scootermom:

That's great that they were able to find him!  I hope for everyone that he is happy he has been found.  I'll be prayng for him and your family that this goes well.

Dance Puppet Dance

crazybeat.gif dancing puppet image by keroppi_3000

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Thank you moms. We are over the moon about this. Almost sick to our stomach's in a good way. BUMP!

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

tattedmommynlj
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM

~good vibeys your way~

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

Michelle2080
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Dear God,

Please see to it that the meeting between this young man and his parents goes well. I pray that he has faced his hardships over the last 6 years and is now on a good path. His family would so much like to see him happy and healthy. Lord please allow him to be thankful his family has been looking for him and that they never gave up on him. Let him see that this is a start for the possibility of being in his children's lives. Please guide him away from anger and resentment and allow him to go back home where he belongs if that is what you see is best. Amen

Good Luck to you and your family. Praying for a safe and happy return! :) 

mysa
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

...as well as your cousin and family....May GOD give you all the wisdom and all the strengths needed to go through this time.....

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Thats great that he has been found. My brother went missing for  ayear once and it is tough. My friends son has been missing for over a year, he is 13, and we still hold out hope that he is out there somewhere and that he will be found eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN