Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you have a child born close to the school cut off date? Did you keep them back?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 119 Replies

This is the decision we are faced with. My son was born in the end of August...9 days before the cut off. He is only 3 now. Normally he should be the age to start preschool and then go to K next year.

the thing is I don't think I want him to start yet. I think I would like to give him another year. If he goes when he is technically supposed to go, there will be kids there that are a full year older than him. I don't want him to be at a disadvantage.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?

by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I think it fully depends on the child. I have known parents that have done both.  Plus a couple of kids whose parents probably should have held back.

family in the van

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

lalala09
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:48 PM

BUMP...

I have the same problem with my son he wants to start, but I'm worried he's not ready and like you I don't want him to be disadvantged either.

mrsmoore02
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM

DS's bday is 9/1 and the cutoff where we lived was 9/10.  We went ahead and started him in Kindergarten and he's had no problems.  He's actually a little advanced according to his teacher.

Isaacsmom5354

My sons birthday is August 20th so I will have the same decision as you in a few years. I was a paraprofessional in Pre-K for 6 years so I have seen kids that had birthdays like our kids. I think it all depends on the child. I've seen some kids that were 3 when they started and they were ready, more so than the older kids but I've also seen kids that were young that definetely not ready for school. You make the decision based on your child and how mature they are and if you think they are ready. My friends sons birthday is Aug 13 and he is in the 4th grade with my oldest and he is one of the smartest kids in their grade. He is reading on an 8th grade level and he is in the gifted program.

Meganabc

If you feel he's not ready then I would keep him home. I work with preschool kids and it's hard on the younger ones to keep up alot of the time.

naughtyprincess
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM

My birthday was 2 days before the cut off date... But the school made the choice for my mom... I didnt know till about the 7th grade... And then I could have cared less... Do what you think is best for your son...

zianneaaliyah
by HBIC of ME on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I don't have any children born near the cut off date, but I was always one of the youngest in my class.  My bday is September 20th and I graduated at 17.  Personally I wouldn't hold him back, but if you feel it's better he waits a year, then hold it off.

ajzuell
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Looking back I wish that I would have waited 1 year to start my son in school.  Last year He was 4 years old.  He's birthday was 1weeks after school started.  He was the youngest in his kindergarten class.  He end up failing the grade  and have to repeat this year.  He was not ready at all. I thought that he was until time went by in school and I saw report card after report card.   I feel it depends on the child if to start early on wait.  Good luck!

lilypad728
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Why? I'm looking for cons...thus far I can't think of one.

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

I don't have any children born near the cut off date, but I was always one of the youngest in my class.  My bday is September 20th and I graduated at 17.  Personally I wouldn't hold him back, but if you feel it's better he waits a year, then hold it off.

lilypad728
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)