Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State medical assistance question.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have state medical assistance through SSI, and I am pregnant. I just had an ultrasound, and I am pretty upset about the treatment from the utrasound tech as well as the result of the "gender determination"... She said at first it was a boy, then couldn't get a picture so changed her mind to a girl. I am very confused after this.

Does anyone know if it would be covered under state medical to get another ultrasound? The tech assured us that everything looked healthy, even though she was horrible about it, and my doctor normally only does two ultrasounds if there is no complications, but I just am not satisfied.

Pregnancy is supposed to be a happy time! not all confusing and feeling like annother number to your doctor and her staff!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryD621
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I don't know what I would do....I would call and find out what your options are. 

MikeysMom51108
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I don't think any insurance will pay for an unnecessary ultrasound. Gender determination is not a needed ultrasound.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM

The purpose of the sonogram is not to find out the sex. That has no relation to your prentatl care, it's just an extra perk, so as long as they saw that your baby was healthy, isn't that enough for you?

armygirl16
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Sorry, I don't know! My dd has state medical coverage but I don't :(.  When I was in the army I know a LOT of people who were pregnant would either say they were having bad cramps or they wern't feeling a lot of movement to get an ultrasound.  I never did that but it was crazy how many people did that to get more ultrasounds! I had to get more ultrasounds anyway because I didnt know my last menstral period because its irregular. 

Oh I had moved though and was having lots of problems scheduling my big ultrasound and I paid $100 to get an ultrasound.  I went to an ultrasound clinic and they specifically do gender determination.  I got a video and lots of great pictures. 

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Find out if there is an ultrasound school near by...often times if you call right away, they will book you a free ultrasound. I booked on in Austin, TX once, because I was told that the military hospital does not honor a 20 week ultrasound, but I had a great midwife that gave me one herself :) 

armygirl16
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM

What? Really?  I was living in TX and had my "20 week ultrasound" scheduled for 19 weeks, but I ended up moving before then.  I was at Ft. Hood TX.  That really sucks!!!!

Quoting cjsmom0206:

Find out if there is an ultrasound school near by...often times if you call right away, they will book you a free ultrasound. I booked on in Austin, TX once, because I was told that the military hospital does not honor a 20 week ultrasound, but I had a great midwife that gave me one herself :) 

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Thats terrible!!!! Why would someone lie about that!!!!

Quoting armygirl16:

Sorry, I don't know! My dd has state medical coverage but I don't :(.  When I was in the army I know a LOT of people who were pregnant would either say they were having bad cramps or they wern't feeling a lot of movement to get an ultrasound.  I never did that but it was crazy how many people did that to get more ultrasounds! I had to get more ultrasounds anyway because I didnt know my last menstral period because its irregular. 

Oh I had moved though and was having lots of problems scheduling my big ultrasound and I paid $100 to get an ultrasound.  I went to an ultrasound clinic and they specifically do gender determination.  I got a video and lots of great pictures. 

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Yeah, that's where I was at. Darnell actually had the number listed...it's worth a shot to check out what your area has as far as schools, even if it's an hour drive or so...otherwise you can get a 4D ultrasound for as little as 100 dollars...they prefer you to be around 28 weeks for those ones.

Quoting armygirl16:

What? Really?  I was living in TX and had my "20 week ultrasound" scheduled for 19 weeks, but I ended up moving before then.  I was at Ft. Hood TX.  That really sucks!!!!

Quoting cjsmom0206:

armygirl16
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Were you a soldier or civilian?  I was a soldier so maybe the medical "perks" were different between the two (if you were a civi).  I hated Darnell anyway though, lol and I was a medic.  But the medical care sucked.

Quoting cjsmom0206:

Yeah, that's where I was at. Darnell actually had the number listed...it's worth a shot to check out what your area has as far as schools, even if it's an hour drive or so...otherwise you can get a 4D ultrasound for as little as 100 dollars...they prefer you to be around 28 weeks for those ones.

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting cjsmom0206:

gnr
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM

The purpose of an ultrasound is to make sure everything is ok with the baby.  You could get another ultrasound and still not find out the sex.  Just be happy your baby is healthy.  Take it from some one who knows, hearing that your baby is fine is one of the best feelings in the world and hearing that your baby is not fine is one of the worst.  I really don't think any insurance company will allow you to get an ultrasound just to determine the sex.  Congrats on your pregnancy though!!

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)