Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he still has his umbilical cord...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM
  • 16 Replies

my newest baby boy is now 3 weeks and 1 day old and his umbilical cord is showing no sign of falling off. my older 2 lost theirs both in the first week so just going to the 2nd week was weird. at this past 2 week appt the Dr. had mentioned that it can hang on for 3-4 weeks so i guess we still have a week to go before i should be concerned but i was wondering how many others have had the umbilical cords hang on for 3 or more weeks...

** edit ** and i have been keeping it dry and cleaning it with rubbing alcohol **

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cindinoell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

My son was in the NICU for 2 weeks, and his fell off sometime after we got home. I think it was close to 3 weeks.

Natashath09
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:02 AM
i think paytonsfell offthe second week. i wouldnt be concerned, what could happen if it was on longer?

<3 Proud Young Mommy

dswarila
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM

We started using Rubbing Alcohol to clean around the Umbilical cord after 3 weeks... the doc said that it would help dry it out a little... After we stopped using soap and water and switched to the Rubbing Alcohol it fell off within a week!

Proud Mommy to a beautiful little boy named Lucas and a proud AF wife!!! air forceyellow ribbonbaby boy

a wedding website

cjsix
by faith on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Both my youngest (6) and my grandbabies (2yr and 3 1/2 mos) had their's for around 3 weeks or a little longer.Just clean around it with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol once or twice a day...this will help keep the goo away and help it dry out.(I've been told to do this by both the doctors and the midwives I have used)

CarterMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM

i dunno - i don't want it to get infected and it's just kinda weird for it to be on for so long, in general it is supposed to come off in the first couple weeks

Quoting Natashath09:

i think paytonsfell offthe second week. i wouldnt be concerned, what could happen if it was on longer?

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie
elly25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I have never had that happen to any of my children.I dipped a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and swabbed it around their umbilical cords though.No to make it fall off faster,but to keep out germs and have it heal.

cindinoell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

It won't get infected unless you're not keeping it clean. Don't worry, mama. I'm sure your little one will be just fine and it'll fall off any day now. :)

Quoting CarterMommy:

i dunno - i don't want it to get infected and it's just kinda weird for it to be on for so long, in general it is supposed to come off in the first couple weeks

Quoting Natashath09:

CarterMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM

yeah i've never used soap and water, ur supposed to keep it dry for it to fall off and i did the rubbing alcohol the first week, stopped for part of the second week and just started again with it the other day lol

Quoting dswarila:

We started using Rubbing Alcohol to clean around the Umbilical cord after 3 weeks... the doc said that it would help dry it out a little... After we stopped using soap and water and switched to the Rubbing Alcohol it fell off within a week!

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie
CarterMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:10 AM

thanks i have been doing the rubbing alcohol so hopefully it'lll fall off soon

Quoting cjsix:

Both my youngest (6) and my grandbabies (2yr and 3 1/2 mos) had their's for around 3 weeks or a little longer.Just clean around it with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol once or twice a day...this will help keep the goo away and help it dry out.(I've been told to do this by both the doctors and the midwives I have used)

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie
babygomez
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM

I had the same concern.3 weeks had gone by and nothing,so her Dr. said it was just fine but to use rubbing alcohol 3 times a day,no more than that.I used to get a cotton ball and soak it with alcohol,then squeeze it on her belly button then dried it off with a dry cotton ball but not completely dry.A little oozing was normal too.So it finally fell off at about 4 weeks and hers was oozing...=)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)