• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone practice this style of parenting ?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

Anyone familiar with the book Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn, or any of the work by Naomi Aldort? I think they both sound wonderful in theory, I particularly like the concepts in Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. But  I'm not sure how they would play out in real life? It's such a drastic change from everything we believe about children, parenting, and discipline, I wonder what the outcome really would be?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cindinoell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Sounds interesting... can you summarize what the books are about in general? What are the differences in parenting that you speak of? Just curious! :)

elly25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:15 AM

No I haven't.What is it all about?Hands off style?Please inform me

dswarila
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:15 AM

What are the books about???? I have never even heard of them!

Proud Mommy to a beautiful little boy named Lucas and a proud AF wife!!! air forceyellow ribbonbaby boy

a wedding website

ArmyGal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM

No rewards and no punishment pretty much.

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would"~ Edward, Midnight Sun

KreatingMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

The full title of the book Unconditional Parenting is called Unconditional Parenting Moving from rewards and punishment to love and reason.  In short, he feels that rewards, bribes , sticker charts, those sort of things are just bribing your kids into good behavior and they're not really learning the lesson. The same thing with punishment, children just learn that they don't want to get into trouble but they're not really learning things for the right reasons.  He calls it winning the battle but losing the war. Like a time out might get you immediate results but in the long run, the child really only learned that they don't want to sit in time out, not whatever lesson it was you were trying to teach them. I'm going to post some links. I want to know wht other mommas think!

KreatingMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Here is one for Alfie Kohn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRE2gqjQx5Q

KreatingMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Here is one from Naomi Aldort, she has her own youtube channel, if anyone wants to know more about her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooO_c3tBs4

briana_paige
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Well, no I don't practice that style of parenting. After my child is punished, as in time out,  I explain to them how their actions resulted in consequences and how we shouldn't do that. I also so rewards as a type of encouragement. If you do things good in the world, you will be rewarded. I think that is teaching life lessons.

KreatingMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Quoting briana_paige:

Well, no I don't practice that style of parenting. After my child is punished, as in time out,  I explain to them how their actions resulted in consequences and how we shouldn't do that. I also so rewards as a type of encouragement. If you do things good in the world, you will be rewarded. I think that is teaching life lessons.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure I totally agree with the author. He says that you should not reward your child for doing good things because they will start to do good things for the reward, instead of just for helping or sharing, or whatever the good behavior is.

KreatingMe
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

bump 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)